Hoboken, NJ

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by CoralReef, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Forget hoboken and find a good place in Jersey City (stay out of Greenville). No parking, more expensive and little advantage to Hoboken.

#11     Jun 23, 2009
  2. no parking included......but i will include a 10 speed bike......just like living in Amsterdam where everything is in arms reach & a bike ride away.:cool:

#12     Jun 23, 2009
  3. slug

slug

This is the worst advice I think I have ever seen on this site and that includes all the silly stock predictions.
    I get bummed when I have to drive through Jersey City.

#13     Jun 23, 2009
  4. RobtF

RobtF

Noted for more bars per sq. mile than any other city.

#14     Jun 23, 2009
  5. agreed...........despite the citys attempt to rename it to Liberty Park & putting up the new Goldman Sacs building in the finance district,it`s still JC.

#15     Jun 23, 2009
  6. Thought that was tarrytown, NY?

#16     Jun 23, 2009
  7. RobtF

RobtF

On the subject, from Wikipedia:
    Hoboken was once known as the city with "a bar on every corner" and in fact was once listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the city with "Most bars in a square mile".[citation needed]. However, the local newspaper, the Hoboken Reporter, recently investigated and determined that while there may be the most liquor licenses per corner, New Orleans has more bars per corner. There were well over 200 bars in Hoboken in the first half of the 20th century. There are still well over 100 now. Hoboken limits by law the number of liquor licenses to the number of blocks and the limit is usually reached. Additionally, no license can be moved to within 200 feet (61 m) of another bar or 500 feet (150 m) from a church, which makes it nearly impossible to open a new bar (except in newly renovated perimeter regions of the city).

#17     Jun 23, 2009
  8. Great comments guys, interesting stuff. A lot to chew on.

#18     Jun 23, 2009
  9. gaj

gaj

hoboken's "most bars per square mile" may be true now - i don't know - but it WAS true at one point.

that was before new jersey raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 AND enforced it a little tighter. (the two didn't happen at the same time)

little known fact: you could order your alcohol delivered from many of the liquor stores.

lesser known fact: the people delivering said alcohol were in junior high and high school.

#19     Jun 23, 2009

10. I couldn't agree more. There is no reason whatsoever to move to JC.

Hoboken- Restaurants, bars, lounges, parks and a 7 minute ferry or 10 minute PATH ride to New York all just steps outside your door.

JC- Corporate offices on the water and nothing at all to do at night except get mugged walking home.

------------------------------------------

Hoboken was named as the "best place to live" for single people over 30 by CNN/Money for two years in a row.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/top25s/qualitylife/mostsingles.html

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL3432250.html

#20     Jun 23, 2009