Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 377OHMS, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Not at all. I collect, among other things, U.S. colonial coins. Started out with penny blue books as a kid and gravitated toward older and more historic coins.

Maybe the libturds' welfare "benefits" aren't enough to allow them to collect anything. :p

#41     Mar 1, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

Colonial coins are neat. I have a couple gold doubloons from that time. I sometimes wonder who the persons were that held those coins in those days and what did they buy with them.

I think the most beautiful coins ever struck were the $20 St. Gaudens Gold Piece and the Walking Liberty 50 Cent Piece.

#42     Mar 1, 2012
  3. Exactly. They're history in your hand and I'm just a temporary care-keeper. They're crude but have a lot of character. Don't have any doubloons but do have several "pieces of eight." But mostly collect the copper coins of MA, NJ, CT, VA, & VT from the late 1700s. Also some federal coinage but only the early stuff. Used to collect later pieces but the longer I kept at it the more I was attracted to colonials.

#43     Mar 1, 2012
  4. #44     Mar 1, 2012
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

He was really easy to work with, a very nice man. The damascus etched blade on that razor is really a beauty. I think there is at least a 6-month waiting list for him to make a razor these days.

Your posts about coin collecting are interesting. I inherited a fairly large collection from my maternal grandfather and will pass those down to the family when I get older. Part of the collection is a complete set of Lincoln Cents and I guess a couple of them (1909 VDB-S and the steel war pennies) are pretty valuable.

I collect Morgan silver dollars and have a few high grade pieces. The market has been flat however so they haven't really increased in value but there is something about them, the weight and the design, that I find very attractive. Silver coins were still pretty common when I was a kid but now everything is made of worthless alloys. There is even talk of alloying pennies or eliminating them altogether due to copper prices. Copper is like the new gold.

This thread taught me something that I already suspected T666. The liberals here don't consider us to be friends that they can or want to share their interests with. They actually hate us. To them this place is just a battlefield. I'm adjusting my outlook on this place going forward. No sense in being friendly to folks who feel that way is there?

#45     Mar 1, 2012
  6. pspr

pspr

Pennies aren't copper any more. I think they have been zinc for some time.

Conservatives hate liberal ideals. Liberals hate conservatives and their ideals.

#46     Mar 2, 2012
  7. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Didn't know that. They do make an odd sound when dropped on a hard surface.

Yes, how naive of me to think otherwise. Live and learn.

#47     Mar 2, 2012
  8. I also have a small but growing collection of knives, have looked into custom made ones and could easily branch out into razors so I totally get your collection.

A 1922 no D Lincoln Cent can sell for a few hundred to well over $10,000 depending on condition. In fact, one in MS62 sold for $13,800 in Jan. The same with a 1955 doubled die. One in MS65 sold for $10,350 last month. Examples that pristine are exceptionally rare but you never know...

I echo your comments on the liberals and had a feeling you were casting pearls to swine with this thread.

#48     Mar 2, 2012
  9. #49     Mar 2, 2012
  10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I love knives.

The last couple of years I've bought a few Spyderco knives. I've got a Military in S90V, a Paramilitary in D2 tool steel (my favorite) and a Calypso 3 in ZDP189. I've also got a couple of Busse knives, a SAR8LE and a SAR4LE.

Once a friend and I were flying around Saint-Laurent du Maroni, French Guiana in 1992 having a look at some rebel encampments north of the river in Surinam and we decided to land in St. Laurent and have some dinner. This is the town with the prison where Henri Charrière (Papillon) stayed before being sent out to Devil's Island. Walking around I found a shop that was selling weapons to the rebels who would cross the river for supplies and there was some pretty amazing knives there and I picked up a couple. One is a beautiful Inox switchblade with a long narrow blade and a handle made from cochon bois tusk. Can't sell or carry it but it is legal to own here.

Anyway, thanks for sharing T666.

#50     Mar 2, 2012