HLV Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by joeyc, Sep 12, 2005.

1. I hope this statement is a joke.

#41     Sep 21, 2005
  2. newguy1

newguy1

its not. And by "chop" i mean lunchtime. Even my manager tells me its not "worth" it to trade the chop. But then again, he doesn't think its possible to trade LU, because its all chop; he's never even tried to scalp for a penny before, and he's one of those people that thinks the Open book and L2 is a "scam". LOL. Thats like saying moving averages are a "scam" when they don't pan out or any other TA indicator.

So I don't expect him to understand. But my pnl during 1200-1:00 doesn't lie, so he could care less.

#42     Sep 21, 2005
  3. That stuff is a scam.

If you're hip to the scam, it works.

Kapish?

#43     Sep 21, 2005
  4. newguy1

newguy1

yeah. I see what you're saying.

I think the best thing I got out of my time there was going through different emotions.

Although I'm doing a different kind of trading, i'm don't really have to go through all the new emotions again. I remember when I put on my first trade for 3000 shares on Q and it went my way for 2 cents. I was thrilled, and my heart was pounding. My heart would pound everyday I got in even though I was watching paint dry.

Now when I'm playing around with GOOG, my heart isn't pounding at all. I even had my first FOMC the other day, and no extreme nerves/heart pounding like I had when I started at HLV.

Its funny how that works. I kind of actually enjoyed the emotions; it made work fun, despite watching paint dry.

Now i'm like a robot. But hey I guess its a different kind of fun.

Best of luck.

#44     Sep 21, 2005
  5. michigan1

michigan1

Thanks for the info and the pm's. This board is a great resource and continue to enjoy hearing the good with the bad.

#45     Sep 22, 2005
  6. I have been a member of elite for a few years but I am doing this under a new name. I am going to post my experience with HLV for people that want an honest opinion. I have not traded with them so far and as you can see I will have no loyalty. I opened my account online with a link from an email. It took about 1 minute to do and it was easy. I made a fare deal with them per share not per execution. There are a little tough with buying power and negotiations took a day or 2 but a fare deal was done. I do feel a little in the dark dealing with them but that could be because I have always put up my S7 at firms before so maybe its different being a customer. I signed the internet contract to the agreed deal but the firm did slip in a minimum ticket price which I was not happy about. I wanted to get the ball rolling so I signed it and figured it can be worked out anyway. I sent an email after signing it to make sure the person would remove it. I called the next day and left a message that I wired the money also to follow up about the minimum ticket fee. I have not heard back from them but it’s only been a day. I do not know how long it will be before a real account is opened up but I will keep sharing my real-time interaction with HLV if people want me too. I was told that they do give K1’s so it’s the same as being prop with a S7. I also heard for a friend that accounts are open a lot faster without a S7. I will tell you if they offer any support with software and how long it takes to get up and running. I will also tell you if they fixed the minimum ticket fee and how look it takes for problems to be solved. This might be a good option for people not wanting to take the S7 and I also wanted to share they do offer other deals besides rebate trading. If there is no interest from anyone I will not post anymore about it too.

#46     Oct 7, 2005
  7. Interest exists as they have an office in Toronto that I'm curious about - I haven't heard much about their Toronto operations.

#47     Oct 8, 2005
  8. me too, interested in their toronto operation

#48     Oct 8, 2005
  9. I will post on the start of the new week as my progression with HLV advances. I have gotten a few messages from people with and without S7’s so maybe this was a good idea to help traders. Before making a deal with them I heard some of the things people have posted on here. I do know people who had in the past complained about execution system going down a lot but I have not heard that lately at all. The check issue I never heard of so I have no comment on it. I will try to keep this very detailed without using names and this is my first time ever dealing with HLV. I won’t post my deal or post P&L. This is purely going to be about my interaction with the firm on all issues. I do hope this helps people in the future.

#49     Oct 8, 2005
  10. My account was ready for me this afternoon. So that’s a pretty fast to me. I did not trade at all today and am a little lost with the software. I have traded at a few firms and have an avg understanding of computers for someone who trades remote. I know the basics like loading windows and changing video cards not a programmer by any means. I did not get the minimum charge removed which was something I never had before. If it only cost me 25 extra bucks a month I won’t care anyway but never had it before. It’s not a very big minimum anyway so not with the argument. It seems like you get a lot of exchanges at HLV. I would have to say move then I ever had. I don’t know if I can excess them but if you can I am sure it could be a helpful thing. The charts are avg nothing great by any means. I am having trouble understanding how to link things and how to set up hot keys. I have to be cautious while figuring it out since I am live trying to set it up. They use Omni Pro and it seems like it has a lot of extras. I am not sure if there is much support with questions and setting up your system. I was given a number and I called it a few times but only got a voice mail. The last time I called I left a message hope I get a call back. I have to say it seems like an ok system for someone starting out for sure. I don’t get the impression its as solid as you would get at a Carlin, Echo, or Assent but it seems to have a lot of extras tied up in your one software fee. I would say the charts might be better then the basic Carlin or Assent charts but not as good as a Reuters or Thomson One. The Thomson and Reuters are also probably more money each month. Remember i am givng it real time so maybe in a week i will like it alot more or less.

PS anyone who understands the linking and hot keys from HLV or Omni Pro I would welcome any help. If you got any tips about good things to look at on the software that would be great too.

#50     Oct 10, 2005