Hitler and religon

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 26, 2010.

1. stu

stu

Then please be clear what it is you are trying to say.

According to what you have said, you're scared of those who believe in leftist absolutism, because sooner or later they are going to act on it. At the same time stating you will not judge on words alone.
    Perhaps somewhat contradictory to put it mildly.

You also have said just because someone says they are religious or Christian does not make them so.
    Then by the same token, just because you feel people might talk about leftist absolutism doesn't mean they are leftist absolutists, nor that they would act that way.
    By the way, are you aware of the True Scotsman fallacy?

I notice in your particular version of even handedness within a "shades of grey" world, you did not say you're scared by people on the right who believe in absolutism.
    You also mentioned people of no belief, have beliefs!

So can you be a bit more precise in what point if any, you are meaning to make?

#41     Dec 28, 2010
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Stu, I think you and many on here read into things the way you want to see them. You try to look for hidden meaning or agendas when there aren't any. This is a message board. Please keep that in mind.

But to answer your questions, I'm afraid of all absolutism. I'm afraid of it not only from the political sense, but as a trader (this is a trading site) I fear absolutism in my own trading decisions. In general, I think people are far better served by being open to persuasion. On everything from God to Hitler and to where the top is in the S&P 500. It won't guarantee you riches in life, but it will make you look deeper into how you think and how you develop your set of beliefs.

And yes for the 10th time, I believe a man's actions carry far more weight as to who he/she is then their words. Words are meaningless. Everyone becomes a born again christian in prison right before their parole hearing. Everyone becomes religious as they are running for office. I like to see how a man behaves when no one is watching. When he is left to his own devices. When he is not trying to sell anything. That's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm aware someone can say they are an absolutist and not be one. But nobody actually says that because no one likes to think they are close minded. This is specifically why I stated I was afraid of someone ACTING on absolutist beliefs, not just in having them. I thought I made that clear.

And yes Stu, atheism is a belief system. I have no desire to argue this with you. I just wanted to clarify what apparently confused you by my posts even though they were pretty straightforward. Somehow over this holiday season you got offended by your own confusion. You don't need to read behind the lines Stu. I generally tell people straight up what I think.

#42     Dec 28, 2010
  3. :D

#43     Dec 28, 2010
  4. stu

stu

If as you say people are far better served by being open to persuasion on everything from God to Hitler, then you should be open to persuasion on those aspects of absolutism that you fear.

Problem is, your approach to be reasonable, would require you being open to persuasion that atheism is rather obviously not a belief system and indeed, open to persuasion that your fear in absolutism is misplaced or highly eccentric or even extreme.

In that regard your point as I suspected appears circular and self-contradicting and therefore makes no sense.

You're not concerned with people talking like absolutists, so who in or out of government do you imagine is acting like one?

#44     Dec 28, 2010
  5. Yes, the belief that conclusions should be based on fact and/or sound scientific theory rather than wishful thinking and flights of fancy.

#45     Dec 29, 2010
  6. Ricter

Ricter

That's not atheism, that's scientism.

#46     Dec 29, 2010
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Gabby, we've been through this before. You cannot apply the scientific method to the concept of god because God cannot be falsified. Therefore there can be no scientific facts. This has been the problem for ages in this debate.

Please Gabby, since I started this thread, stay on topic. I went off topic myself but from this point forward, let's either stay on topic or just start another thread. I have no desire at all to argue the semantics of God on an internet message board. It has no interest to me.

If you want, why don't you start a thread about your "wishful" thinking about your NQ trading. :)

#47     Dec 29, 2010
  8. Fine by me.

"God" cannot be falsified, but neither can he be verified. So that places "Him" squarely in the realm of Russell's celestial teapot and unicorns. Have at it. Apparently, people like you find scientific theory and its approaches lacking, however you seem to be enjoying its bounty in just about every aspect of you life, as man becomes more and more aware and informed of the world he lives in. Meanwhile, "God" and creationism add nothing. They just sit there and go nowhere. They are inert.

I will not address this topic any further in your misguided thread.

I no longer trade NQ. But thanks for caring.

#48     Dec 29, 2010
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Gabby, I don't think anywhere in the last 9 years have I ever mentioned the scientific method on ET. So please get your "facts" straight. I'm sorry you could not find a profitable way to trade the NQ. Trading is tough kid. The good news is, you still have ET! :)

#49     Dec 29, 2010
  10. #50     Dec 29, 2010