Hit for Apple self driving cars?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by viktor_k67, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Considering that Tesla vehicles have self driving abilities today, just think how far out in front Tesla will be by the time Ford rolls their first efforts out in 5 years.

Alpha Trader likes this.
  2. Google hat it also. It is not about the Ford. In 5-6 years,most of the major car makers will have self driving abilities. My point is that when Apple comes with it, the market will be already heavy loaded with serious competitors and Apple will remain just cell phone producer unless they will come out with something radically new.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker

Apple's modus operandi is make it sexier, more user friendly than others; your argument is irrelevant.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Apple is struggling in the innovation department across the board in my opinion. Ask yourself how many truly new products has Apple has rolled out since Steve Jobs' departure? Mac computers, iPods, iPhones and iPads were all in production under Jobs. So the only thing I can think of is the Apple watch maybe, but that's about it really, and even that product is pretty weak.

5. Gotcha

Gotcha

And lets not forget that Apple is typically at the top end of the price scale. If all you're doing is ordering a self driving Uber to pick you up, I'm not sure if you need premium quality, you just need something safe and reliable.

If its a car for personal use and purchase, once again, I'm not sure if all the bells and whistles are necessary. If you're not actually driving it, it might not matter as much how awesome and high tech it is since you perhaps won't have the same "hands-on" feeling. You simply get in, tell it where you want to go, and sit back and do something else".

So I'm not sure if the Apple model of doing things will matter too much when it comes to self driving cars.

6. motif

motif

No one likes driving anymore? I do.

Baron likes this.
  7. As far as I am concerned Tesla's cars aren't completely self-driving, and Ford promises to deliver a completely self-driving car in 5 years.

8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Hasn't Google already been working on a completely self-driving car for a long time now? I remember seeing this thing years ago:

https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/

9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Ford doubles Silicon Valley workforce, eyes autonomous cars
    Ford Motor Co. said it plans to introduce an autonomous vehicle by 2021 for use in a ride-hailing or ride-sharing service. Ford said the vehicle would be "specificallydesigned for commercial mobilityservices" and built in high volumes. "Ford is going to be mass-producing vehicles with full autonomyin five years," CEO Mark Fields said at an event in Silicon Valley that was broadcast online.(Advertising Age)

#10     Aug 17, 2016