HISTORYMarch 17: "Reversal" Starts: DOW/SP double bottom-Oil/Gold/Euro 'bubble' burst

Discussion in 'Trading' started by increasenow, Mar 21, 2008.

1. This period is approximately the same as the period from 1965 - 1975. During that time, the market was bound within a wide range for a long time, until finally it broke in 72 - 74. Volatility increased and then collapsed.
    I figure it'll be similar this time, for the same approximate reason: at that time, as the baby boomers came out of their teens and into their twenties, they either went to college and then looked for a job, or looked for a job. In the first case, their parents had to shell out money to educate them first, and some of that money had to come from the market. Then society had to find a place for them. In the second case, society had to find a place for them, which was OK until you had the overhang of the soldiers drafted for Vietnam hitting the bricks at the same time as the normal demand from the demographic pressure, which of course happened at the same time as the oil crisis and Watergate.
    This time, the children of the boomers (the "echo") are going to college and getting a job, or just getting a job. Just like back then, this means the parents have to shell out money for their education. A lot of that money has to come from the market. Pile the housing crisis and the commodities boom on top of that, and the picture doesn't look good. I figure volatility will rise as we lurch around, pulled up by some Fed action and then down by reality.
    Bull market in volatility, but not much else.

#11     Mar 22, 2008
  2. Nanook

Nanook

#12     Mar 22, 2008

3. Holy Cow! You are so positive I just fell off my granite counter tops posting this message...I love to see positivity on ET forums. Enough of this doom and gloom and nascent pessimism.

#13     Mar 22, 2008
  4. You are no better than the "doom and gloom" crowd. You are overly optimistic and close your eyes to the environment around you unless it fits your bullish viewpoint.

Plus you are a coward for changing your screen name from Day7793 to Hedgefundtrader2 and pretending like you didnt.

I KNOW YOU DID, COWARD.

#14     Mar 22, 2008
  5. PAPA ROACH,

MORE doom and gloom from a perpetual pessimist on board. Have you read tales from the crypt from Nouriel Roubini? They are as gloomy as they can be .. straight out of the graveyard.

#15     Mar 22, 2008

6. I chose not to respond.

Please refrain from personal attacks. I will not hesitate to deliver your post to the moderators of this forum.

#16     Mar 22, 2008
  7. Call it what you wan't, but I read non-fiction whem it comes to my money. You seem to read fiction romance.

#17     Mar 22, 2008
  8. You just did repond and I'm not attacking you, Im stating a fact. You used to be Day7793 and you are now Hedgefundtrader2. This isnt an attack, this is a fact brother

#18     Mar 22, 2008
  9. hedgefundtrader, i will never understand your crowd. Why do you persist to be extremely optimistic no matter what facts are presented before you. There is a reason we broke so much off of our highs. There is a reason the housing markets collapsed off the highs. I am not a pessimest by any means, but if do not want to short, and your options are "buy, or don't buy". Right now would be one of the times to be patient, and not buy. We don't need to buy it right on the bottom. Let the market make a bottom, change the trend, then follow it. If you have an oppurtunity to enter the market whenever you want, with as much capital as you want, wouldn't you want to enter when the odds are stacked in your favor. All I'm saying is wait till the market proves itself. Then you can go back to being a permabull:p .

#19     Mar 22, 2008
  10. This is NOT 1929. This is 2008.

#20     Mar 22, 2008