history of stock exchange closings

Discussion in 'Economics' started by zdreg, Feb 16, 2017.

1. zdreg

zdreg

2. Daal

Daal

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Daal

Daal

IIRC Greenspan said (in his 07 book) that a stock market shutdown was considered during the 87 crash. There was also the 9/11 ~week long shutdown. One would imagine that if the terrorist attack were worse, the shutdown probably would have lasted longer.
    I'm not sure if the NYSE adapted to terrorism, I recall reading they have backup centers outside the main location now

murray t turtle likes this.
  4. %%
    I think they have. 9/11 shutdown marked the monthly/yearly low in about a 52 week/+ downtrend. NYSE has shut for a period of prayer + fasting even though google says it can not find it. As noted before,good thing the enemies did not know much tek analysis- they helped accidently put in a 52 weeks/+ monthly low.

5. sle

sle

A more sane argument is that exchanges get shut down when the stocks have declined significantly, not that market predicts the closure of the exchange :)

6. Sig

Sig

At least he's being consistent, that line of thinking is the logical conclusion of a TA mindset. Apparently you can not only predict future prices from the upside down tea kettle stuck on the head and shoulders, but also major world events!