History of S&P Futures Margin

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Dinolovin, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Anybody have a link or document the details the increase of margin for emini s&p futures over the past 20 years?

I have searched everywhere, even emailed the CME and have received no response.

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

About the only "help" I can offer is that I seem to remember when the full size (before the emini existed) initial performance bond was around $12K.
    Early 1990's I believe.

It's typically around 7% of the underlying so you could reverse engineer an estimate based on past S&P values.

3. Thanks a million...good trading kind sir

4. Emini S&P didn't start until 1997-ish I believe, so going back 20 yrs. isn't really possible. Keep in mind that the big spoo contract used to have a $500 multiplier instead of the $250 multiplier in the big contract now.

5. Do you know when it switched from 500 to 250?

6. Novemer 3, 1997.

"#97-24 and 97-25 (Corrected): November 2, 1997: CME S&P 500 Futures and Options to split — change to PC-SPAN Contract Value Multiplier

On Monday, November 3, 1997, CME's S&P 500 futures and options will be split. The contract value multiplier will be halved, from $500 to $250. A single long open position will become two long open positions.

Accordingly, in PC-SPAN, it is necessary beginning Monday November 3, to change the contract value multiplier for all of the affected commodity master records from 500 to 250. "