History and Movies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mav88, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Mav88

Mav88

No, what is clear is that you don't give a damn about the facts.

#41     Jan 22, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

Yes you are. Hyperbole? Obama ordered an Air Force One flight over New York for this thing and you say I am going over the top?

Blacks and liberals are obsessed with symbolism, that's my point.

#42     Jan 22, 2012
  3. Mav88

Mav88

No aces. Late 1944 to May 1945 was mop up time as far as the Luftwaffe was concerned. Even at 2:1 their record is not so great that you can say they were elite. The bomber crews did like them as they stuck to their mission.

99th Ftr Sqn
    Edward L. Toppins, 4
    Charles B. Hall, 3
    Leonard M. Jackson, 3
    Clarence W. Allen, 0.5
    Willie Ashley, Jr., 1
    Charles P. Bailey, 1
    Howard L. Baugh, 1
    Thomas P. Braswell, 1
    Wm. A. Campbell, 1
    John W. Davis, 1
    Lemuel L. Curtis, 1
    Robert W. Dier, 2
    Elwood T. Driver, 1
    Wilson V. Eagleson, 2
    James L. Hall, 1
    Clinton B. Mills, 1
    Daniel L. Rich, 1
    Leon C. Roberts, 1
    Lewis C. Smith, 1
    Hugh J. White, 1
    100th Ftr Sqn
    Raul W. Bell, 1
    Charles V. Brantley, 1
    John F. Briggs, 1
    Roscoe C. Browne, 2
    Richard W. Hall, 1
    Jack D. Hosclaw, 2
    Carl E. Johnson, 1
    Langdon E. Johnson, 1
    Earl R. Lane, 2
    Clarence D. Lester, 2
    John H. Lyle, 1
    Walter J.A. Palmer, 1
    Geo. M. Rhodes, Jr., 1
    Robert W. Williams, 2
    Bertram W. Wilson, Jr. 1
    301st Ftr Sqn
    Joseph D. Elsberry, 4
    Carl E. Corey, 2
    John E. Edwards, 2
    James H. Fischer, 1
    Fred. D. Funderburg, 2
    Alfred M. Gorham, 2
    Claude Govan, 1
    Thomas W. Jefferson, 2
    Jimmy Lanham, 2
    Armour G. McDaniel, 1
    Walter P. Manning, 1
    Harold M. Morris, 1
    William S. Price, III, 1
    Harold E. Sawyer, 1
    Harry T. Stewart, 2
    Charles L. White, 2
    302nd Ftr Sqn
    Lee A. Archer, 4
    Wendell O. Pruitt, 3
    Roger Romaine, 3
    Milton P. Brooks, 1
    Charles W. Bussey, 1
    Edward C. Gleed, 2
    Wm. W. Green, Jr., 2
    Weldon K. Groves, 1
    William L. Hill, 1
    Freddie F. Hutchins, 1
    Melvin T. Jackson, 1
    Felix J. Kirkpatrick, 1
    Charles E. McGee, 1
    Luther H. Smith, Jr., 2
    Robert H. Smith, 2
    William H. Thomas, 1
    Hugh S. Warner, 1
    Luke J. Weather, Jr., 2
    L. D. Wilkins, 1

#43     Jan 22, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I stand erected.

Apparently "some sources" gave Lee Archer credit for 4.5 or 5 kills which seems to be the source of the disparity.

#44     Jan 22, 2012
  5. http://articles.nydailynews.com/201..._1_tuskegee-airman-ace-pilot-air-force-pilots

Retired Air Force Lt. Colonel Lee A. Archer, lone ace Tuskegee Airman, dies at 90

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Friday, January 29, 2010

NEW YORK- Retired Air Force Lt. Colonel Lee A. Archer, a Tuskegee Airman considered to be the only black ace pilot who also broke racial barriers as an executive at a major U.S. company and founder of a venture capital firm, died Wednesday in New York City. He was 90.

His son, Roy Archer, said his father died at Cornell University Medical Center in Manhattan. A cause of death was not immediately determined.

The Tuskegee Airmen were America's first black fighter pilot group in World War II.

"It is generally conceded that Lee Archer was the first and only black ace pilot," credited with shooting down five enemy planes, Dr. Roscoe Brown Jr., a fellow Tuskegee Airman and friend, said in a telephone interview Thursday.

Archer was acknowledged to have shot down four planes and he and another pilot both claimed victory for shooting down a fifth plane. An investigation revealed Archer had inflicted the damage that destroyed the plane, said Brown and the Air Force eventually proclaimed him an ace pilot.

#45     Jan 22, 2012
  6. Mav88

Mav88

Normally Archer would get 4.5 kills at most, it appears that someone tought there needed to be a black ace in 2010. In this age not surprising. I was going by the Air Force Historian's report in 2008.

So one after the fact ace, ok, does not affect the discussion much. Certainly does not make him one of the greatest of all time.

#46     Jan 22, 2012
  7. This from the team of W with his 'Mission Accomplished" banner and a flight suit. Come on.

c

#47     Jan 22, 2012
  8. Mav88

Mav88

I'm old school constitution, we are equal in the eyes of the law. The beauty of liberty is it doesn't matter if one group is dumber or not because we all get equal rights. Enter liberalism and modern black racism, now equal opportunity isn't enough, now they insist on equal outcomes. However there is a big problem- blacks will not or cannot perform intellectually with whites or asians yet they want equal outcomes and keep banging the table with the permanent excuse as to why the white man has to keep paying.

In that context symbolism becomes a replacement for real achievement, and we get a president who believes in symbolism so strongly he would order that dumb NYC flyover and then lie about it.

#48     Jan 22, 2012
  9. Mav88

Mav88

I didn't condone that, but at least it was an honest mistake.

#49     Jan 22, 2012
  10. Not sure about 'honest mistake' - but much more to be concerned about, with much more at stake, than some movie 'based' on actual events, as posted earlier.

Look, I actually thought it was great that President Bush flew in with that accomplishment. Until, of course, we found out it was all bogus. I still respect the Office, even when it's so hard to deal with, especially their cronies. Hubris and all that. But still respect the President, Mr. Bush.

c

#50     Jan 22, 2012