History and Movies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mav88, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Mav88

Mav88

Red Tails is coming out, I'll probably wait for it on cable if I watch it at all. I'll make a fearless prediction for this movie- historical accuracy is not in the mix here. You can tell by the commercials that Lucas is going for that intelligence-insulting Hollywood formula targeting the masses. It may even approach Michael Moore's contempt for your intellect since we are dealing with race politics. I predict that the movie will bring back the myth that the red tails never lost a bomber to enemy aircraft, that they 'saved' the day for the Mediterranean AF, will have jingoism on the scale of that awful Pearl Harbor movie, and of course the impossible flight envelopes and fight scenes from the computer generated graphics. They were a good unit and bomber crews liked them, too dry a story though for the 'larger' political purposes of George Lucas.

Semi-accurate productions that don't try to add too much spin or drama don't have to be boring. On the other hand some go too far the other way with anti-american sentiment like Apocalypse Now. Band of Brothers, Hamburger Hill, and Patton were ok in my book.

Here is something you will NEVER hear about much. Guess who narrated the first Tuskegee documentary? Ronald Reagan. Note how some blacks used to think "education and industry" were the way ahead. That racist republican seemed proud.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UVDbBaC2254" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this may be trustworthy info http://acepilots.com/usaaf_tusk.html

2. Ricter

Ricter

I don't recall, how was Apocalypse Now anti-American?

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

To be honest I don't either.

I won't bet against that prediction.
    I wholeheartedly agree. In fact I prefer reality and accuracy over entertainment.
    Probably why I prefer documentaries with actual film footage over Hollywood movies.

As an aside I was flipping through a magazine recently. There was a list of a dozen of the "best" movies of 2011. I have not seen or even heard of a single one of them.

4. So they are doing the Tuskegee Airmen for this generation. Of course, they weren't all that. The fact that they never lost a bomber is probably fiction, anyways.

Oooo I soo cannot wait till November when this country can reaffirm it's direction and send you guys to Costa Rica, where you and Rush can live happily ever after:D

5. Mav88

Mav88

The charactartures - just a movie opinion though. Platoon probably had more anti american sentiment.

Either way, too much jingosim or too much of any personal politics and I don't want it in my entertainment. Please try and entertain me with interesting reflections of reality if possible in war movies.

A Bridge Too Far - pretty good balance.

6. Mav88

Mav88

Yes, actual history is fascinating enough for me. I'm still seeing new WWII footage once in a while. The scale and the brutality of the Russian front is boggling when I watch that stuff.

Sometimes those list have a few gems, sometimes you wonder wtf?

Gang, if you don't mind subtitles you might like this one. Actually probably 97% fiction but man the guy who plays Hitler should get a German academy award. Make some popcorn, it's a full length movie. Once in a while the fiction is good enough.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O705I-xT6KI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. The direction under Obama is clear- A worthless dollar, a bankrupt nation, rioting in the streets, and total dependence on the government for basic needs.

But at least we won't have class warfare anymore!

8. Mav88

Mav88

They lost some 25 bombers.

You actually want to reaffirm the trajectory we are on? Even Obama doesn't want that. Please do humanity a favor and get out of the voting pool. If I had Limbaugh's cash, costa rica doesn't sound all that bad.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

...into the abyss?

Why would that make you giddy as a teenage girl who just had her first finger fucking?

10. #10     Jan 21, 2012