Historical Stock Options Prices

Discussion in 'Options' started by et123, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

down to 1 min interval

#11     Dec 13, 2007
  2. Delta Options
    Be careful with dividends & non-standard options though.

#12     Dec 13, 2007
  3. panzerman

panzerman

One reason to get historical prices is to be able to calculate the greeks and impl. volatility. Creating historical implied volatilty surfaces can give you insight into the current implied surface, and thus option price. Looking for mispricings, arbitrage, and market making prices etc.

Of course you have to normalize the historical data first. Direct comparison of historical vs. current data is not possible because the variables move around through time.

#13     Dec 13, 2007
  4. I believe Business Week Online has searchable historical options data. You will have to do some digging. The site has changed and I haven't visited it for a while.

AZD

#14     Dec 13, 2007
  5. buybig

buybig

how do you value an option your aboutto trade?

#15     Dec 13, 2007
  6. It must be the grace of online anonymity that allows such honest, unrestrained ignorance. It’s a pity the “people who claim…..“ line just stopped the tears from filling my eyes......

#16     Dec 13, 2007
  7. cvds16

cvds16

by using an option model

#18     Dec 14, 2007
  8. buybig

buybig

oh wow..:confused:

im VERY new to options and keep a very open mind but:

an options model (all of em) are a snapshot of a option based on theoretical values at a specific period in time.

in other words.. if all variables hold constant the model provides a price based on model used.

watch the greeks. they bounce like mexican jumping beans.

:)

EDIT:

SORRY GUYS WENT OFF ON A RANT>>

I THOUGHT THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION WAS OPTION VOLATILITY HISTORY NOT OPTION PRICING HISTORY.

ILL SHUT UP NOW

#19     Dec 14, 2007