historical implied vol

Discussion in 'Options' started by mktmkr, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mktmkr

mktmkr

just looked at isrg...assuming earnings are jan 26 or so...after jan expiration...why buy jan and sell feb...jan will trade as usual and feb will hold it's price till earnings are released...then collapse...no?

#31     Nov 19, 2006
  2. xyannix

xyannix

This wouldn't work in the ISRG case because the March doesn't start trading until the Jan Expires (Is that correct?).

Also, is there a way to do it with limited risk. I am still new to options trading and I am scared of ulimited risk.

BTW: I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge

#32     Nov 19, 2006
  3. if XYZ is at 45 , sell 40-50 JAN strangle and buy 40-50 FEB ( reporting)...Compare PnL vs ATM's (especially if price is at/close to one of the strikes)
    IMO

#33     Nov 19, 2006
  4. X and MM , I will close it all (ISRG) on the last day of JAN exp ( but hopefully before , if stock moves enough)

ps , I will enter this position ONLY if: +gamma , + theta and limited -Vega conditions.
    Big IFs :)

#34     Nov 19, 2006
  5. mktmkr

mktmkr

makes complete sense...but not the same as this...

buy 1 atm JAN
    sell 2 atm FEB
    buy 1 atm MAR
    its the buy jan and sell 2 feb i didnt get

#35     Nov 19, 2006
  6. what if FEB vols are 2000bp (and has limited upside from this point) higher then JAN ...?

#36     Nov 19, 2006
  7. mktmkr

mktmkr

what if FEB vols are 2000bp (and has limited upside from this point) higher then JAN ...?

IV...im sorry, i must be thickheaded...not following you

are you saying there could be a reason to sell the earnings month and buy the month before it?

#37     Nov 19, 2006
  8. MM , I can see how my previous posts can be confusing..
    Here is the better way :

buy JAN ( vols=40)
    sell FEB ( vols=60 AND almost at the top of per-report run)
    All at ATM.
    position carries +gamma , +theta and almost neutral vega .
    Close all at JAN expiration ( or before on +PnL).

I am definetly not advocating this trade , I just replied to X about particular stock's position that I may take IF the above conditions are true.

#38     Nov 19, 2006
  9. 2006

IV can you post any sample tickers which have those vols?

I'm pretty sure you won't see vols that high in FEB in comparison to JAN with that much time left to earnings/event.

#39     Nov 19, 2006
  10. Opra

Opra

I was planning to get this book, but now it seems it is not worth the time and money? Could you care to elaborate a bit?

Thanks in advance.

#40     Nov 20, 2006