Historical data on index constituents

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by RickyRoma0, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Hi there. I'm trying to find a (hopefully free) source of historical data for constituents of major indexes, primarily S&P 100, 400, 500, 600, 900, 1500. I know I can get the latest from S&P site itself, however I need to know what was in those indices at a particular time in the past (for at least the past year, although further back in time would be great).

Does anyone know where I might obtain this information? Or maybe someone has kept track and would be kind enough to share?

Thanks in advance.

2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

my experience has been that s&p does not offer this data for free. If you wanted to engage in a lot of labor, check out an index mutual fund and pull the holdings out of the prospectus.

3. freestockcharts.com

4. How far back do you need it?

5. I'm hoping for at least a year, but if you happen to have it available for the last 3 months that would work. Thanks

6. Ideally for at least a year, but if you happen to have it for 3 months that may work.

7. Ideally for a year but if you happen to have it for 3 months that may work as well

8. flip

flip

Register (it's free) and login at:

https://www.sp-indexdata.com/idp/LoginAction.do

Then go to the tab "US", at the bottom you can download excel files for the constituents of all these indices you mentioned for each day of the last year.