His Job at Bear Gone, Mr. Fox Chose Suicide

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hughb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. If you had wanted us to play "Wallstreet Murder Mystery" you should have said so. :D

#41     Nov 6, 2008
  2. zdreg

zdreg

feigned condolences and obsession with a stick in your rectum makes for a sorrowful combination.

#42     Nov 6, 2008
  3. +1

I'd had chosen 'money as one's G_d.'

But either connotes the point.

Sad, isn't it?

#43     Nov 6, 2008
  4. ... and continuing to make posts on this *dead topic* makes you even more so.

P.S. Hopefully your boyfriend will look after you if you ever decide to OD. :p

#44     Nov 6, 2008
  5. Nothing bothers me more than the "i dont understand depressed people blah blah blah they're stupid for killing themselves why weren't they tougher, their problems are smaller than other peoples etc etc."

Suicide is the final symptom of depression - which often has nothing to do with the size and scope of an individual's problems. Its a physical/chemical imbalance in the brain triggered by something (genetic or otherwise) that causes feelings of hopelessness and and decreased ability to cope. It's a medical problem and it can usually be be treated with some combination of therapy and or medications.

People often perceive this as weakness or charcter flaw. Depression is not something these people choose, its a disease and clearly not their option. Yes, in a way this dude failed himself, but to a much greater extent he was let down by a failure of the people around him to notice the symptoms and get him help.

I hope we can close this thread.

That's it.

#45     Nov 6, 2008
  6. lassic

lassic

The love of money?
    in his case, sounds more like "the love of being wanted"

#46     Nov 6, 2008
  7. Agreed 100%.

And Schizophrenia is no laughing matter . . . I used to have a neighbor in Westport, CT that was an attorney and a diagnosed schizophrenic. Every now and then he suffered from some "episodes" that were clearly not by his own choosing.

But leave it to people like German Trader and their cavalier attitude about tragic stories such as this ( and the one about the S&P floor trader recently ) to be the judge and jury without having known the man, or ever been close to being in a similar position.

An earlier poster was right . . . not much evolution there.

#47     Nov 6, 2008
  8. olias

olias

I think people become callous and desensitized by modern society. Just turn on the news any night of the week. There's some horrible stuff happening every day. If you're sensitive to the plight of other human beings it's gets pretty overwhelming. I wrote a song about it years ago. The question of 'what do I do with this information?' Do I let it bring me down, shed tears, get depressed? What is the benefit to anyone else on the face of the planet if I take in the shadows that the TV is sending out to me? Or can I simply watch it as entertainment and use it to stimulate interesting talk and gossip at the water cooler?

I couldn't find any benefit to watching and sympathyzing and yet I did not want to become callous so I no longer watch the news. I get my news online and this way I can still get the educational stuff without all the other junk.

#48     Nov 6, 2008
  9. Depression does not make one a bad person. Everyone is responsible for their own choices, however, depressed or not, and if he needed help and didn't seek it, then there is nobody responsible but him for the grease spot on the street. According to the story, he may have been gay, and gays have a higher suicide rate than normal men. Read it up. It is interesting that some in this thread are suspicious of his live-in bed buddy, like he might have slipped him those pills. I find it hard to believe someone could be slipped bottles and bottles of pills.

#49     Nov 6, 2008
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

It would help.

#50     Nov 7, 2008