Hiring a cofounder

Discussion in 'Options' started by Aquarians, May 10, 2018.

1. #11     May 10, 2018
  2. southall

southall

That is you résumé, what are you looking for on the other persons résumé?

From your opening line it seems you want someone with roughly the same skills

"for someone to work full time on developing an OPTIONS trading system"

Surely you can do that yourself? And instead save the 50% equity for someone(s) who has vital skills you lack.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    #12     May 10, 2018
    lovethetrade likes this.
  3. So I need someone of roughly equal capabilities to bounce ideas off.

It's what I'm doing currently, but realized it's very inefficient working on it as a side project with a full time job. What would take me 1-2 days of intensive, full time work, can take over a week due to having to spread it in small, scattered patches, when I find time after the day job.

So to increase efficiency I could:

a) Quit my job and concentrate full time on developing a successful trading system.
    b) Take a part time job, and use half of a working day working on my trading system.
    c) Keep my full time job but hire someone to do #a instead of me.

#a is the most risky, I'm not going to pursue it soon.
    #b might be an alternative, but still not something I'm gonna jump on very soon.
    So it remains #c.

The key ingredient is that for #c I need someone able to concentrate full time on trading strategy research. They also need to have similar level of qualifications, so we can discuss quantsy stuff and split the work. And I'm aware that $1k is not a particularly compelling amount to live on, but it'd be enough if the reasons driving this hypothetical unicorn to work full time on trading strategy research were the same as mine. It would be a lot like option #a from the guy's perspective.

#13     May 10, 2018
  4. Fan27, you can see from my latest post that I need someone working full time on research. And he'd need to be pretty familiar with the topics in:

#14     May 10, 2018
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Dude! That pretty much describes ET (excepting the tyros and the trolls, of course...).....

:D

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    #15     May 10, 2018
  6. southall

southall

Sound like you lack total commitment.
    50 hours for the day job, 50 hours for sleep.
    Still leaves 68 hours a week spare to develop trading systems.

"Sincerity begins at a little over 100 hours a week. You can probably get to 110 hours on a sustained basis, but it's hard. You have to get down to eating once a day and showering every other day, things of that sort to really get your life organized to work 110 hours."

- Len Bosack, co-founder, Cisco Systems, and hero to the hardcore

#16     May 10, 2018
    lovethetrade and NoodleStrudle like this.
  7. Really? It wasn't immediately apparent to me that most posters here are retired / self-employed. (Apart from the "Options" forum, I also post on "Programmers" and I'm willing to bet the majority of them are still working for the man :) ).

#17     May 10, 2018
  8. fan27

fan27

There is no way you are going to find someone to work full time on this project with the qualifications you describe for $1000 per month. It's not going to happen. What you are asking is for someone to incur a major opportunity cost and live on a starvation wage for a project that is not really even off the ground. Now, if you had a viable product with a rapidly expanding user base, then you might be able to convince someone. Even that would be doubtful.

Perhaps build a proof of concept yourself and then look at attracting talent. That is the approach I am taking.

#18     May 10, 2018
    lovethetrade and NoodleStrudle like this.
  9. I've been pushing this long enough now to realize it sounds easier than it actually is.

One problem is I also got a wife and a 5 years old kid, and they too require some attention (read: time). I arranged with my wife that I'm giving them the weekends provided that I have the weekday evenings for my side work. Perhaps I'll reverse this and trade 2 full days for 5 evenings.

And speaking of working the evenings, simple accounting of working hours doesn't work. It's more like, because of the acquired mental fatigue, the efficiency decreases exponentially. So 4 hours in the evening barely match 2 hours at peak efficiency, which is around mid day for me. (Also, some people have suggested waking up earlier, but I'm just not a morning person, my brain just won't function before 10 am, no matter how much coffee or exercise of what else I throw at it).

#19     May 10, 2018
  10. I did use words like "hypothetical" and "unicorn" for this mythical creature I am looking for :)

#20     May 10, 2018