Hindu Economic Principles

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Yuvrajjj, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Wrong simile... Religion is a lot more intimate than food, more like sex. I am sure even you might have an issue with someone approaching you on the street and asking you to fuck them silly.

I agree, though, the problem with the argument in the original post is that it's a nice, but unrealistic idea. After all that's what the Bolsheviks tried to do in Russia in 1917. All ends in tears, 'cause humanity is just not mature enough for it. Moreover, the great advantage of wealth is that it's measurable, whereas things like trust, morality etc are not.

Everyone objects so strenuously, because we instinctively know what a slippery slope this is. The old adage is so true: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

#11     Jun 3, 2009
  2. sjfan

sjfan

Indeed. The original poster's contention that this is some sort of "hindu" economic principle is silly at best. India itself doesn't really seem to implement this "hindu" economic principle. In which case, it's just his own personal interpretation of scriptures - and why it's better if we adhere to that reasoning.... hum..

#12     Jun 3, 2009
  3. Maybe good on paper, but awful in practice.
    India has dark history of violence and injustices.

This Hindu economics correctly address issues not taken in modern mainstream economics such as the individual human element, but it fails to provide for markets and production.

Too spiritual but worth reading.

#13     Jun 3, 2009
  4. Ask the millions of untouchables about how fair and good Hindu economics are. If you are born into the right caste, you have a great life. But if you are born on the bottom, then you are not given access to these "Hindu economics." Few religions start a large group of their own people as outcasts and vermin, just based on their birth. In this particular respect, it even makes Islam look good.

#14     Jun 3, 2009
  5. I think you might be a wee bit out of date on this, TZ...

From what I heard, in urban areas, caste has become much less relevant. In the other areas, the pendulum has swung the other way, in fact, with all sorts of positive discrimination occurring.

#15     Jun 3, 2009
  6. empee

empee

nice article and another way to look at things, especially when we just think about money everyday.

Thanks for posting!

#16     Jun 3, 2009
  7. That you got 100% right. I wonder if they still practice it.

#17     Jun 3, 2009
  8. So if someone's belief is to strengthen family and community, individual character and sensitivity, that is detestable to you? You would be harmed if familys were stronger? If communities looked after each other? If people had stronger characters? If people were sensitive to others?

Please tell me how that would harm you?

#18     Jun 3, 2009
  9. sjfan

sjfan

Because he didn't say, "let's all be better to each other." He proscribed an economic system that enforces it. All things have costs. His economic system incurs a cost as well. We find it detestable that we have to pay for that cost - one that we didn't agree to - and one that we think is inefficient.

And TZ (however much I usually disagree with him) is right this; Hinduism is responsible for its own share of bloodshed and oppression. I see no reason to hold its spiritual views beyond dispute.

#19     Jun 3, 2009
  10. dewton

dewton

as an addendum to your post... millions of untouchables in india have lately been converting to Christianity and a new violent fundamentalist hindu-nationalist movement is rising up to oppose the mass conversion.

#20     Jun 3, 2009