Hindenburg Omen

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Shawn B., Jul 29, 2007.

1. Shawn B.

Shawn B.

Have you found a reliable way to check, day by day, the occurrence of hindenburg omens?
    I know how they are calculated, but I only have access to IB TWS and thinkorswim for data, and can't seem to find a way to see if a hindenburg omen from there..
    Specifically, I'm having trouble finding sources for new highs/new lows and the mclellan oscillator

I'm sure some of you know of a good source, could you pls share it? Thanks!

2. Hindenberg omens have called 20 of the last 2 market crashes.

:D

(Ok, I just made that up)

3. Shawn B.

Shawn B.

Yep, but they have also called all of the market crashes

There are many false positives but when you actually look at repeating omens (like 8 or so) most of the false positives are removed and it's actually possible to have a probability edge for protecting your portfolio with puts for a couple of months or something similar

PS thanks for the sources! any website that actually gives you a full page with all the omen's requirements (i.e. seeing everything in a single place? )

4. riskette

riskette

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_Omen

I've heard of this a while back and a bunch of guys did a test on this. (This is third hand info and I haven't done or seen the actual results... just a reminder is not to believe but TEST EVERYTHING) The conclusion they got was, it has zero viability. It's not positive or negative but flat... no significance.

If there was a significance, then it would be the name of the tech. indicator. It sounds like 1940s cult horror movie.