Highly Recommended Q6600 based custom build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Syprik, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I Know the spec's are similar and dells are pretty good deal. But if you are comparing this system to the op's

Antec p182 is a much much better case

Corsair 620 hx is probably 20 notches better than the junk that comes with the above dell ( power supply is the most important component for stability and longvity of a system)

Memory is also better than cheap generic that dell uses.

Much better cpu cooler

Better cd/dvd drive

His system has much more room for overclocking

By the way I have built 3 systems in the past 3 years. Although all my system parts have good warranties. NOt 1 part has failed so far

Everyone has different needs and wants with thier computers. But tech geeks overwhelmingly agree building computers with quality parts is much better than buying branded computers. Building your own system is not for the masses just like trading is not for majority of the people

#41     Apr 3, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Rebuttal...

The T3400 is from Dell's "workstation" line. It's appropriate then to presume "server class quality" in components. If that's actually correct, all arguments against Dell's T3400 components is invalid.

So, that leaves "better case" and "overclockability". I'll grant you the point on overclocking... but case? Case, schmase... it's a box to hold the parts.

BTW... I've had half a dozen Dell's over the last 8 years, and the only component I ever had fail was an NEC CDR... which Dell promptly replaced under warranty.

#42     Apr 3, 2008
  3. Vienna

Vienna

If "30-90 mins" is true, then it would make financial sense I guess... even though I charge about $250 per hour as a consultant in my "other job". You have to see time as money, too.
    It might take me a day and then there might be problems with components not working... I don't know how to test a system etc. I asked a very highly rated place in NYC and they would charge $250 to do it and make sure it works, so for me as a hardware retard that seems a reasonable way to go.

Re. reliability of components:
    For a similar price I would take higher quaility components any day. Your computer is your connection to the market, and if it fails you could lose thousands in a flash,

Re. the need for all this power: I use Multicharts and my main concern is to have multiple charts with indicators load fast. I scan through perhaps 100- 150 charts a night and right now, I wait sometimes 10 or even 15 minutes for one group of 20 charts with indicators to load. This is a pain and wastes my precious time every night, and therefore costs me much more money than I save by NOT having a fast machine.
    Don't know if that needs a gaming rig or not, or if some of this is esignal's fault. Multicharts can use muliti-processors, they told me intel gave them a 16-core CPU (!) to test and it increased speed 10-fold.

#43     Apr 3, 2008
  4. Building your own can't possibly be worth your time if you make anywhere near a good income. Four hours of fooling around with hardware = $500-$1000 added cost.

There might be an exception when building an ultra high-end machine because the builders charge a big premium on that side.

But hey, hobbies aren't about saving money are they? :)

#44     Apr 3, 2008
  5. F****k it! I'm going to go for it and try and design and build my own baby. Armed with a copy of 'Building A PC (in easy steps)' and my own lust for power, why not! I'll write a brief description of my adventure if and when I have a working machine.

#45     Apr 3, 2008
  6. Syprik

Syprik

Judging by some of the reactions here, suspect it is the older folks that don't get the stigma/tech benefits to building their own system. And you know what? Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Most don't have the time nor patience to deal with it. But I know for a fact a great deal of the younger generation is very open to and aware of the benefits to custom, hence why I decided to start this thread. I've received at least two dozen PM's/emails asking for tips and stating appreciation for the info provided.

Dell T3400 is a fine system and more than adequate for most traders. Some are acting a bit too defensive here. I was a design engineer for Lockheed Martin - Space Control before quitting to invest/trade full-time, and most of our systems were Dell Prec workstations with high end FireGL video to run SolidWorks/FEM analysis etc. They get the job done.

I don't understand why the "pre-fab" group has much say in this DIY custom thread. It is fruitless to compare the two as any PC tech savy person can point out a slew of valid differences including quality of components and price. Also keep in mind many get satisfaction in putting their own system together.

There is no disputing the following advantages to this particular custom:
    - Corsair HX620 PS, made by Seasonic using their very high grade server components (capacitors). There is a reason it has a 5yr warranty and reputable name.
    - O/C capability of Q6600 on enthusiast motherboard
    - Case design: made from sound deadening material, excellent airflow, and virtually silent
    - Tuniq CPU cooler that keeps chip "much" cooler than generic pre-fab Intel coolers. Core temp closely correlates with CPU life/performance.
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943&p=4
    - Noticeable increase in bang for the buck

Custom you know exactly what you are buying with loads of feedback from other "tech-heads" for each component verifying performance & stability.

#46     Apr 3, 2008
  7. Vienna

Vienna

Syprik: from your experience (you seem to use Multicharts as well)... the delay I described loading the charts... how much do you think is due to a slower computer, how much to IP issues/ lags or esignal lags? Am trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to speed up my rig as much as possible.
    I am all for anything that lets me load these charts faster, that would be the main benefit for me.
    Thanks.

#47     Apr 3, 2008
  8. Syprik

Syprik

If you never done it before, you are tight on time and don't have the curiosity to try it, then buy a pre-fab. End of story.

Basic overview of hardware install :
    - Place motherboard on a table sitting on the static bag it was shipped in.
    - Place CPU into socket, clamp down, spread provided thermal conductive paste on CPU (Arctic Silver 5 is the best), and carefully mount CPU cooler. Install RAM at same time. (Motherboard manual will walk you through all important details).
    - Install power supply in computer case (4-8 screws).
    - Install the populated motherboard in the case (about 9 screws into the underlaying studs)
    - Install hard drives and DVD burner in case
    - Connect the all power cables and case control cables (power switch/reset/usb /system fans etc... like connecting the dots)
    - Connect SATA cables from motherboard to HD/DVD players.
    - Install video cards or any slot cards once the motherboard is installed in case. Ensure they are properly seated.
    - after confirming all connections are made, power it up and enter the bios immediately (del button) upon bootup.
    - Search for menu that specifies the boot order of your SATA/IDE devices. Set the DVD/CD player to the 1st boot device. Place Windows XP Pro install disc into the drive and hit save/exit in the bios. It will automatically reboot and you'll be off the races.

#48     Apr 3, 2008
  9. Syprik

Syprik

Nothing to do with computer performance...all Multichart/broker feed interaction. Are you using the 3.x beta? It is noticeably better but still have to wait quite a bit for history backfilling of 10+ workspaces with 20-charts per workspace. Usually load them all when I wake-up/before breakfast. Once loaded, the Quad core just eats the live ticks up. This is something you can find more about at the tssupport board. I love the intuitive layout but do wish the loading query process was better (I use IB feed).

#49     Apr 3, 2008
  10. Vienna

Vienna

Yes, 3x Beta is much better. There is not too much I can do about "Multichart/broker feed interaction" I guess. Actually, would a faster machine help by allowing you to load more instances/workspaces simultaneously? Right now, i am starting 2 or 3 instances of MC with a workspace each with 20- charts each at the same time....

#50     Apr 3, 2008