Highest level of education?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by indahook, May 30, 2003.

1. OK. after reading the thread started by FreedonPhighter I became curious as to what kind of education everyone here has received. Remember that if you don't reply and just vote that it is anonymous...so don't be shy. Out of the three guys that I trade with we have a Master`s degree and MBA and a high school diploma.

2. bump

3. Syracuse U. 4 years

4. If you're looking for a correlation between education and probability of success as a trader, I don't think you'll find one. But, there's no question education opens doors. Here's a list of
    people you may of heard of. BTW, they're all high school dropouts.

• H.G. Wells
    • Jim Clarke...founder of Netscape
    • Jimmy Dean
    • Andrew Jackson...7th President
    • Daniel Gilbert...Harvard University Professor(earned a GED)
    • Walter Smith...President of Florida A&M University(got his
      GED when he was 23)
    • Jack London...American author
    • Andrew Carnegie
    • Charlie Chaplin
    • Charles Dickens
    • Thomas Edison
    • Mark Twain

5. minimi

minimi

For just $19,999 per year, I will teach you peronally how to become a professional student, the highest level. Satisfaction guaranteed. PhD is nothing now. Become a professional.

6. Oh no, I certainly don't believe that. I would think there is a negative correlation. There is absolutely nothing beyond a 6th grade education in mathematics that can help you become a good (stock) trader. You have to pay your dues real time.

7. Yea, I agree. I know some people who won't even listen to
    the opinion of someone when they discover that person doesn't
    have a degree. I think they're just hurting themselves.

I think we can learn a lot, from the (so called) unlearned.

8. maxpi

maxpi

Read "The Millionaire Next Door". Typical profile was a Bachelor's degree and some entrepreneurial effort.

I have worked with a few PhD's over the years and I came to admire their approach to work if nothing else. They worked patiently and were very productive compared to the rush-rush guys that the Electronics industry is plagued with. I learned to slow down, answer every question along the way and I became more productive.

Max

9. For sure.

10. i think there are two very important classifications of credentials --- since trading is purely a matter of quantifiable results, one of these classes does not matter --- that being how many letters you have next to your name or where they came from.

who would you rather take advice from or give props to--- a stock broker that drives a dodge neon, but might have an ivy league MBA ----or a stock trader who dropped out of a two year college, but has his series 3,4 and makes a 7 figure annual salary and drives a convertible ferrari?

i will choose the latter....its all about resluts in this business, nothing more....there is no room for fluff....in big companies, especially in marketing and business departments, a large emphasis is placed on pedigree degrees--- where did you go -- "i went to harvard, well i went to Oxford. great, these same brilliant people who took 1 whopping course in finance and might know what a call is, can not trade their way out of paper bag.

#10     May 30, 2003