Highest dividend?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by short&naked, Nov 23, 2008.

1. One more thing to point out about BP... thanks to the strong Dollar, its share price is shockingly low compared to other comparable companies... but even with the strong Dollar, its dividends are pretty decent. If the Dollar and Pound ever trade places like they did last year (when there was almost a 2:1 exchange rate), the dividends will probably be more like 12-16% (since each Pound paid as a dividend will buy more Dollars to put in your account)

#11     Nov 23, 2008
  2. I would gouge my own eyes out with a popsicle stick before relying on a high yield chinese ADR.

No debt - ok that one looks interesting.

My favorite in a combined FA/Yield/safety combo in Intel (INTC). Was around 5% before the last hour Miracle Ramp, tons of cash, minimal debt, real products and revs. It's not sexy anymore, for sure, but if anyone is going to be around 5 years from now paying at least what they're paying today, it'll be Intel.

XLF - the financial ETF - is also worth a look around these levels - especially if the C & GM rumors are true and we get a nice panicky reaction dump. Again - not a huge divie - but if the banks don't recover we're all pretty much screwed anyway.

If you really want to chase yield, it might make more sense to look at distressed corporate bonds. There are some astronomical yields there - and some of these companies are bound to have a few crumbs left over for bondholders. For shareholders, not so much, LOL.

#12     Nov 23, 2008
  3. gkishot

gkishot

What about REITs indexes ( RWR for example). Do you think they are valid dividend players?

#13     Nov 23, 2008
  4. > I would gouge my own eyes out with a popsicle stick before relying on a high yield chinese ADR.

Normally, I'd agree... except Siliconware isn't Chinese. It's Taiwanese. Big, HUGE difference, in business culture AND government. It's 110% first world all the way, just like Singapore.

#14     Nov 23, 2008
  5. Apologies! Missed that, didn't look close enough.

#15     Nov 23, 2008
  6. hausse

hausse

Interesting thread.

Know of any banks without toxic assets?

#16     Nov 23, 2008
  7. The div yields look unbelievably good, however they are based on past payouts.

Most financial, REITS, and energy related stocks will end up lowering or even cancelling div payouts because of either 1) the need to conserve cash due to the credit crisis or 2) reduced revenue.

#17     Nov 23, 2008
  8. You may want to look at a Canadian one: RY but I dont know anything about their balance. Current yield 6% I think.

#18     Nov 23, 2008
  9. Don't forget about big MO ~ 8.30%

#19     Nov 23, 2008
  10. Forget about reits, it will be hard for them to roll over their debt next year. Major issues with them....

#20     Nov 23, 2008