Higher Minimum Wage Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Cesko

Cesko

:D :D :D :D :D

#61     Jul 13, 2009
  2. That's my point.

"Middle-wage" American workers had a niche all their own... until globalization brought 500 million peasants into the marketplace to compete for their jobs.

1. The future holds that high unemployment will be structural.... there won't be a job for everybody. There won't be a quality job for all of those who are qualified. There won't be middle-class wage jobs anywhere that it's feasible to have the work done in a low labor cost country.

2. A large majority of the future jobs will be near minimum wage... due to excess supply of labor.

The overabundance of labor is a natural force... like gravity. Holler all you want, won't change it. You whine, "minimum wage isn't enough"? Not enough to live well on, for sure. Still, that's how it's going to be.

3. Rough as that is, people still don't DESERVE more just because they want more.

Americans will likely be forced to accept a much lower standard of living to cope.

#62     Jul 13, 2009
  3. ipatent

ipatent

The minimum wage has never been a problem for my business, but it is a luxury that only a wealthy country can afford. When we are approaching 20% real unemployment it is a bad idea to raise it. It should also be indexed for local cost of living.

#63     Jul 13, 2009
  4. hum you seem smart there mister doodi-do you know tyler durden?
    have you seen him?
    anyways somthing stinks-everytime minimum wage gets hiked the economy falls apart-historically

#64     Jul 14, 2009
  5. Well I have delivered pizza and that never happened to me, but I’m very glad that you stuck up for them. Anytime I go to a fast food place, I like to make it as easy as possible for them. Like for instance, I actually know what I want when it’s my turn to order. Boy what a concept!

Personally nobody really cared that I delivered pizza. Especially rich people. Their kids and dogs come running out and I just play with them and have fun. They are thankful for the service and pay accordingly. They never said, “I ain’t gonna tip you because you because you don’t have a real job with skills. Go get an education and then tell me you deserve decent pay.” I guess none of them post on ET, which is probably why they’re rich.

I quit and have a new temp job now because it literally got to the point where I was risking my life and property to deliver a pizza and after calculating everything, I was probably getting less than minimum wage. Literally, I made more money (or should I say I loss less) sitting at home doing nothing than I did at work. It was not worth it. I am looking for another job now for when my temp ends, but if I can’t find one, I don’t think I’ll go back to deliverying pizza. It is not worth it. I think a lot of jobs are getting to be that way. People say, what’s the point? People on ET however, don’t get this and then wonder why people vote Democrat. Anything Sean Hannity tells them to do.

#65     Jul 14, 2009
  6. Wait a minute. He said Grandpa would tell you to go make something of yourself, you don’t deserve anything. I said it’s not the same world that Grandpa grew up in. Now you say “It’s not Grandpa’s world anymore is it?” So then why don’t you tell the other guy that Grandpa’s wisdom is out of date and not applicable? If you’re going to use Grandpa’s rules, then you both have to be playing the same game, otherwise it’s apples and oranges.

For the record, both my Grandpa’s weren’t farmers. They both worked careers that today would nearly be impossible to raise 5 and 6 kids while Grandma stayed at home and then receive retirement pay for them and Grandma to live into their 90’s.

#66     Jul 14, 2009
  7. I don't get what you're asking.

Is it my position on outsourcing?

I'm against widespread outsourcing, it may produce a short term gain but once you've given enough means of production to another country you start feeling all of the negative externalities that go along with it.

#67     Jul 14, 2009
  8. Good example. But IMO, the "new economy" is not about "where smart consumers and smart workers hookup". It is about a return to specialization and expertise. The mechanic is not a mechanic and a travel agent. The dentist is not a dentist and an arts dealer. The store owner is not a store owner and a real estate agent. The IT guy is not an IT guy and a stock broker. I am not suggesting individual hobbies are not pursued or incapable of producing a profit. I am saying specialization and expertise are what "smart consumers" will be drawn to, jacks-of-all-trades will need to fight to prove their value, similar to the unskilled.

#68     Jul 14, 2009