High yield dividend portfolio

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by 15rms, Mar 12, 2017.

1. %%
    Good points;
    + the 50% draWdown, SPY, has taken about a year,in the past ,2008 for example. And TGT stock has a yield of 4.35%, but with management bear trending that stock ,they may go belly up bankrupt, not a prediction??

#21     Mar 15, 2017
  2. 15rms

15rms

Very good information coming my way here. Thanks for the feedback. Monday on the open I am going to put some cash to work. Buying what will eventually be 6.25% of my account CIM. I am purchasing this for many reasons. I am using the Fidelity web site to do my research. It is showing CIM to be extremely bullish with a 9.3 rating. I can't find another reit that ranks that high. It has a 10% dividend. The chart is off the wall screaming up. Kind of feel like I am chasing the stock however with the current strength of its fundamentals and technicals I am not worried about a major pull back. The high dividend will help prevent that I believe.

#22     Mar 18, 2017
  3. Trader200K

Trader200K

I faced a similar situation and so far things are holding together.

Don't know if this would be an option for you, but on retirement, besides REIT/CEF/ETF/IndivStocks to pump the numerator, we started from scratch on the expense denominator too.

We lived in the region of our parents. Never looked at the alts. It was time to question everything. Culture, crime, taxes, etc and we did a ton of research and travel after first asking ourselves what would our 'ideal' place look like if we had few limits. We looked hard at about five states on our second cut.

Our final rethinking moved us to an income tax free state where ppty taxes, utes, cost of living, insurance, etc avoided nearly $1700/mo in (rapidly growing) outflows. Ppty taxes had been seriously on track to double in 120 months. Lowering the investment hurdle to cover those rising expenses relieved a lot of stress and strain going forward. That was a really nice unloading of the fam budget, not to mention the sanity enhancements of the exurbs, lots of space, clean air and neighbors that think largely like we do. ... and far enough out of reach to ignore if they don't. We have all the activities we want without the congestion and fire/rescue/swat teams/HOA Nazis running amok at all hours. (Don't even think about going to the local registered sex offender pages.) We even started a garden ... then upsized it 10x for taste and health reasons. Very different, but good exercise and surprisingly satisfying.

Strangest thing I didn't see coming in the questioning stage was that a 450 mile location change netted us 60 more days of sunshine. Weather differences can be significant.

Even our kids are beginning to scratch their heads about why they do what they do.

Fourty foot commute each morning to watch the open and fiddle with a hobby or take the wife out for a swim in the afternoon wasn't even in our thinking we were so busy and rushed before the big question got asked.

Over a number of years we converted steady amounts of our reg IRAs to Roths without popping tax brackets in any individual year. All our income instruments now operate there to flow out fed tax free as well as state tax free. Took a bit of time, but getting as many middleman eaters out of our flow is proving to be good positioning for us. I spend a good amount of time screening income payers and do a lot of comparisons. Always looking to cull the worst performers with one starting to bounce back with a higher than ave yield. Look under the hood. Last month I ran into a quarter billion MLP CEF with cash flow of $20MM and $7MM in expenses. Bet they have one nice office suite.

Lowering the investment stress nut and raising the quality of life side has paid far more satisfying and reliable "dividends " than we ever imagined.

Questioning everything can be unsettling, but maybe just changing 20% of what is a pain can result in an 80% boost in pleasure. That's what we found any way.

Good luck to you!

Regards,

T

PS: A helpful book I saw was "Strategic Relocation". Has a prepper leaning, but lots of good base of state data.

#23     Mar 18, 2017