High volatility

Discussion in 'Options' started by ChrisM, May 15, 2003.

1. Trajan

Trajan

Oh, huge appeals court decision to come down sometime in the next couple of months.

#51     May 20, 2003
  2. ChrisM

ChrisM

Looks like two of us make all this market :D

#52     May 20, 2003
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM

Right, while June expires in about three weeks ? Sometimes market (and the world as well) is funny, isn`t it ?
    Trajan, I use TS and OSimulator so far. Do you use any special soft for this, you`ve had good experience with ?

#53     May 20, 2003
  4. Trajan

Trajan

LOL, we're gonna start getting shows from the floor.

#54     May 20, 2003
  5. Trajan

Trajan

Right now I just use my firm's software, INQuote, and supplement it with an excel worksheet when neccessary. I am going to get some additional software because not have a proper risk model has cost me money. What is Osimulator? I have been playing phone tag my broker for the last week to find out what is able to plug into the software. My first choice right now would be Microhedge, but I'm not sure what I'll end up with. It is also expensive by comparision, $400 a month. I may have other choices of options for software as well but unfortunately, if you noticed my thread under retail firms, my broker is having problems today. I thought it was Penson but it looks like it's them.

#55     May 20, 2003
  6. ChrisM

ChrisM

The best of the best is that margins were calculated not precisely as I expected, however somewhat better.
    It`s nice, but still not understood.
    I calculated them accordingly to my broker`s explanations. Feel like getting into grey area :)

#56     May 20, 2003
  7. ChrisM

ChrisM

Osimulator is Option Simulator, the program I have from OIC, while it is not professional, it still works for me. Then I do a lot of main calculations through TS, programming what I need i.e. how many times underlying breaks out of 10% price range before expiration.
    I`m asking this question, because I was thinking about Option Station, but after TS I have had mixed impressions about this idea. At this point I really don`t think there is any better soft than your brain, as long as you know how to use it :)
    But before you use it, first you need to get your basic homework done and then other softs may be used, but here is where we get into the world of useless toys. The catch is to find what we need.

#57     May 20, 2003
  8. ChrisM

ChrisM

Actually waited for USG, but NEOL was better bet.

#58     May 22, 2003
  9. ChrisM

ChrisM

USG, this one had craze day yesterday,

Trajan,

what results do you get doing 2 vs 1, "jelly roll" ?
    I did studies regarding this some time ago, and I found that exploding volatility could change everything, did I get it right ?
    Also was interested in calendar spreads, but finally came to similar results.

#59     May 23, 2003
  10. trdrmac

trdrmac

#60     May 23, 2003