High Speed Trading Unfair To Retail Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vingbel, Jul 23, 2009.

1. It's more the high efficiency vented tumble dryer: your stop will vaporize before you realize what happened ;)

#21     Jul 24, 2009
  2. Banjo

Banjo

3. Nice links thx

"The bottom line is that with a pre-trade environment, the sponsored access providers will be able to have the potential to front run all those who use their platforms. "

haha... next

GS:
    "As the SEC also seeks to appease investor concerns over rampant short selling, especially naked short selling, new sponsored-access standards may provide part of the solution. Given that day-traders may be the last remaining culprits of such activity,, increasing and standardizing scrutiny over their trading may reduce uncovered (and illegal) shorts even further."

waaaooo Where has gone the pionnier spirit... Arrgocance leads always to the same result... Downfall...

"The mother of all concerns is a sponsored firm's algorithm going awry and executing thousands of problematic trades across a range of securities and market centers"

Personnally it could be the dream... very wild ! What can happen if the pramater of trading field change by huge order of magnitude brievely and how will all the algos adapt ?

"otherwise, the next “Long Term Capital” meltdown will happen in a five-minute time period."

hmmm...

#23     Jul 24, 2009
  4. +1
    Good advice.

#24     Jul 24, 2009
  5. zdreg

zdreg

the congress of the US will be happy to hear from you. now we have a "trader" who believes in a transaction tax.

#25     Jul 24, 2009
  6. +100

#26     Jul 24, 2009
  7. Didn't Paul Rotter make a fortune with a "manual" version of this technique several years ago? I don't think he's in the game anymore, but perhaps someone can shed more light on his strategy...

Walt

#27     Jul 24, 2009
  8. In the NYTimes article I found a quote that I find somewhat disturbing:

" a loophole in regulations allows marketplaces like Nasdaq to show traders some orders ahead of everyone else in exchange for a fee."

Does this really mean that Nasdaq is "selling" information on my order before it hits the orderbook? That would be outrageous.

#28     Jul 24, 2009
  9. That is a very, very good question. I would like to know the truthful answer to this also...
    Best
    john

#29     Jul 24, 2009
  10. Chausey

Chausey

The reason this is bad is because the markets are a zero sum game, with the exception of commissions. The small leak of commissions didn't hurt the game, but when a computer can make guaranteed profits, that blows a big hole in the dam.

#30     Jul 24, 2009