High Speed Trading Unfair To Retail Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vingbel, Jul 23, 2009.

1. When they implement rules to shut out the HFT players, the spreads just widen and the liquidity available goes down. Then you people will be on these forums complaining about how the fastest players are still collecting and profiting from 25-cent spreads.

Maybe they'll go back to fractions.

#11     Jul 24, 2009
  2. Excellent article, thanks for posting.

#12     Jul 24, 2009
  3. thank you for such a coherent and factual post :)

#13     Jul 24, 2009
  4. CORRECTION: Its affecting both Institutional and Retail Investors :D

#14     Jul 24, 2009
  5. ~Adapt or die~

Same theme, different decade.

#15     Jul 24, 2009
  6. Johno

Johno

+1

#16     Jul 24, 2009
  7. zdreg

zdreg

wait until a transaction tax is instituted. the retail investors will pay . Goldman and other brokers will be exempt. wait till the uptick rule is reinstituted. Goldman will get around the uptick rule but not the retail investor. those are real disadvantages.

there are always people who have better tools. being small has its advantages. liquidity is not an issue especially if these people add liquidity by playing the ecn game.

#17     Jul 24, 2009
  8. Looks like a brilliant addition to the game to me. I like to think I'm pretty hot as a trader and often enter before the 1 min bar signals but I don't want to be 1st in. Oh no way! I want to follow the 1st hint that the market has reversed and if these guys cherry pick the price and that then moves the PA, good for them.

They have the kit to decide in milliseconds whereas I'm slow and need a few seconds to decide, so we are never really competing for the same price.

And their servers are co-lo compared to my slow everything. Even my indicators are slow compared to theirs. These guys are not my competition - they are my assistants confirming the action I want to take and we work beautifully together.

Don't you luv these algo kids?

#18     Jul 24, 2009
  9. I personnaly love this algo's... Don't forget they are anti-algo's or algo's killers ;)

At this level it's !!only!! a game! However a game were you can see the path taken by this algos... As in the universe there is always a anti... the shadower it is the efficienter ;)

What impress me particularly in the algos is what I call the wash machine... Have you ever seen this ?

#19     Jul 24, 2009
  10. You got me there but I'm all ears (well eyes).

Is there a tumble drier or is that one to be invented? Or is it still the old hung out to dry?

#20     Jul 24, 2009