High-Speed Trading No Longer Hurtling Forward

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by OnClose, Oct 15, 2012.

1. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Dude, he's being sarcastic...

This is the part where I really wonder about you....

(aren't you the one who believes central banks are behind HFT?)

#31     Oct 15, 2012
  2. Occam

Occam

I would tend to agree with this -- probably the only firms that can perform at this level of profit are ones that pay-for-order-flow to retail brokers and/or internalize against their own clients (e.g., sub-penny "price imrpovement", which in reality is anything but). Wholesaler PFOF deals and/or internalization are two of the major problems in market microstructure today, and it seems that the SEC agrees -- but it's such a big money maker for certain big firms that these anachronistic practices still have a lot of big defenders.

There are also real problems in the high frequency space that aren't necessarily big money makers (e.g., "quote stuffing", which, whether or not intentional, is a problem). I don't think these types of problems don't make a huge impact on the bottom line for most people, but they're downright annoying and also seem to find their way into the popular press. Many, if not all, of these could be fixed with relatively simple rule changes -- e.g., any order that wants to show up on an order book must commit to existing for at least 1 second (unless filled of course).

Fragmentation is another problem that I think is exploited by certain high frequency players, but I'd argue that the main culprit here is muppet institutions who (I'm guessing) are persuaded by scare tactics from dark-pool marketers. I'd say you must be a muppet if you think it's a good idea to send your order to someone's private ECN (where they can do whatever you want with your order, including trading against it). Hopefully they're starting to get wise to this after the Pipeline scandal.

#32     Oct 15, 2012
  3. S2007S

S2007S

"High-Speed Trading No Longer Hurtling Forward"

Ha and how many people actually believe that headline?

#33     Oct 15, 2012
  4. vicirek

vicirek

Sarcastic is fine.

Just forget about me - no need to wonder.

And yes I think that Central Bank actions are related to the proliferation and need for HFT with their indirect involvement through leverage they provide to major dealer banks that are active in market making which is subset of HFT today.

#34     Oct 15, 2012
  5. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Of course, the fact that HFT isn't a very leverage intensive subset of strategies will not change your mind (I know I know, we've gone through this before).

It's funny how "Sarcastic is fine." doesn't actually address anything: that you failed to notice his sarcasm and went on the attack; or the multiple of other things that sailed right over your head.

Interesting.... in the gallery of ET's oddities, you stand out, my friend.

#35     Oct 15, 2012
  6. vicirek

vicirek

And you are one fat and ugly bond trader and you know that they are not the most intelligent bunch!

Nothing personal.

Leverage intensive is just detail how HFT is done on micro level. I meant leverage as excess liquidity and cushion to support market operations by Central Banks on macro level. Besides what is wrong with Central Bank support? Markets are safer that way on macro level and also on micro level if you are on the right side of the trade.

#36     Oct 15, 2012
  7. vicirek

vicirek

Other than that I am 99.99% right.

#37     Oct 15, 2012
  8. jb514

jb514

How can you think they spend 75 million on technology? That's an absurd number.

#38     Oct 15, 2012
  9. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

I see. Again, you are drifting off to nonsequitors.

I feel like I'm talking to someone whose not entirely with it...

#39     Oct 15, 2012
  10. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Other than what?? See supra

#40     Oct 15, 2012