High Speed Internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chittowntrader0, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

Both. The upload speed is how fast you can send a file... like a video clip or picture.

#41     Dec 9, 2007
  2. 1. Yes, generally, the ISP limits the upload and download speeds. DSL has a further distance limitation which is physical. The only way it can be overcome is for the phone company to install an additional DSLAM (think of it as a hub) closer to your location in between you and the Central Office (CO). ISP's have software limits on up and down speeds.

2. Gmail is just a mail webmail service. It is independent of the ISP and is only limited by what Google provides the server as far as bandwidth. This comment was to address the poster's concern that he might have change his long-lasting email address by changing ISP's. Gmail is ISP independent and is run by Google.

3. Comcast has a ton of capacity on their network. Comcast further adjusts your download/upload speed depending on your usage up to the limit you paid for. For example, if the kid next door is downloading torrent movies from the internet while your connection is only using 1mbps, then your neighbor will get more bandwidth. That is why you often get a lower speed reading when doing speedtests and it goes up and up with every test. Try it and see. DSL holds the full bandwidth and latency but has the distance and pipe size limitations. Again, Gmail is just a webmail service that allows you to use email clients as well (Outlook Express, etc). See #2 above.

Cheers,
    FT71

#42     Dec 9, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

1. Does Google currently publish what its bandwidth currently is, or is it adjusted to current system usage?

2. As I have "4Mps" service from Comcast, might I be able to upload at 4Mps via Gmail if Google allowed, and would I be restricted to a maximum attachment size (currently 10MB at Comcast)?

#43     Dec 9, 2007
  4. Again, that depends on what you are doing. As far as trading, your upload speed isn't all that significant. You are only uploading orders back to the broker and they are sent in small and simple packets. Your download speed is more important because you are using it to get your tick data for your charts as well as feedback from your broker to confirm your orders, etc. Generally, you will not use more than 2mbps unless there is an economic release that causes a burst of activity. In those cases, you can get bursts of 4 mbps or above but they are temporary. I'm assuming that you are not downloading tick data for 20 different instruments at the same time.

The ideal situation for the home user is cable for charting, internet surfing, VoIP applications, instant messenging, etc. because of its high bandwidth. You would also have DSL service which is used exclusively on your trading machine for your trading platform and orders. This gives your orders their own pipe to travel through and will give you a backup in case your DSL/Cable decide to go down. DSL is prefered for trade execution because of its consistent, unshared bandwidth and latency. You don't need a lot of bandwidth for execution as explained above.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Cheers,
    FT71

#44     Dec 9, 2007
  5. It does not publish what it uses. I generally upload large files to a group of people using Gmail and it runs at about 2.8 to 3mpbs. My bandwidth test results at www.speedtest.net show 93mbps down and 8mbps up. I suspect that I'm using as much as Gmail is willing to give when uploading.

Yes, I expect that your emails will be uploaded at full bandwidth assuming the server is not being flooded with users. I prefer Gmail over any other free webmail service and even more than my ISP's email service. I have had it for over 4 yrs and never looked back and have never had to notify people because I'm moving. It is accessible from any where and can be used with Outlook or other email clients. That's about all I need from an email service so I will keep using it as unless the quality drops.

FT71

#45     Dec 9, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

Whoa! I presume you are accessing the net through Cable/DSL with a 8-12Mps service (?).

How can you be reading 93Mps when your broadband service is so much less??

Also, I thought the freebie email service users got flooded with SPAM. Is that not right?

And does Gmail limit the size of attachment which may be sent?

#46     Dec 9, 2007
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Gmail spam filter is the best I've seen.

Last time I checked the limit on the size of a Gmail attachment was something like 20Mb.

#47     Dec 9, 2007
  8. That is the bandwidth at work where I'm writing from. My clearing firm's internet connection runs at 100 mbps. My home service is 6 mbps, but I don't trade from there. I'm in the CBOT building as I type this doing my homework for the week.

The free email services do get flooded with spam when using Yahoo and Hotmail. I didn't notice it with Gmail. The spam blocker is very good. Besides, ISP email accounts get flooded as well as soon as you sign up to a website or purchase something online. Over the years, I have not noticed a difference. I don't deal with Spam much through Gmail.

The attachment size limit is 10MB per email. Your email account has 5 GB of space to store data to. I don't see myself sending or receiving more than 10MB at a time. I use yousendit with encryption if I need to send more. Most of my transfers between computers are done on a 4GB JumpDrive in case you are thinking of sending yourself big files. The JumpDrive is quicker and easier to use.

Hope that helps.

FT71

PS: Gmail is something that is controlled by Google. Like everything else, the more popular it gets, the worse it will be as a service so my comments only apply to the way it has been and it currently is. Don't know what it will be like a year from now, so take my comments in context of what is currently happening.

#48     Dec 9, 2007
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

#49     Dec 9, 2007
  10. #50     Dec 9, 2007