High Probability Setups

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by bearmountain, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jjf

jjf

Oddly enough, I thought that this thread might grow wings and fly, but doesn't seem to be in the general flight path of the ET herd.

#11     Dec 13, 2010
  2. Interesting thread, BM. We all have our own take on the matter. Here's mine. My own trading is largely mechanical in that unless price action meets certain minimum criteria, I won't even consider a trade no matter how good the price action appears. The preconditional criteria reflect my understanding, based on observation and personal experience, of what normally precedes at least a bit of imminent directional movement of an unknowable amount. There is no "probability" per se. Rather, there is only a balance of probability, which is not nearly as refined. On balance, and based solely on my own approach, some setups are better than others.

For example, some setups barely meet my predefined criteria whereas others comfortably exceed the minimum of what I am looking for in a setup. Also, and especially during erratic price action, some setups meet the letter of the predefined setup requirements but not the spirit. Often, the best setups are fairly obvious. But not always. And so, for better or worse, I tend to pick and choose, especially when it comes to marginal setups that barely meet my requirements during erratic price action or after a losing spell.

#12     Dec 13, 2010
  3. jjf

jjf

Do you know Gabfly, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

#13     Dec 13, 2010
  4. hmmm. 50/50? Am I missing something? There's always a stop point for high probability setups too.

#14     Dec 13, 2010
  5. I'm okay with that.

#15     Dec 13, 2010
  6. jjf

jjf

RN makes a great deal more sense than you do right now.
    You will need to expand your post into greater detail

#16     Dec 13, 2010
  7. jjf

jjf

That is a pity really, as I imagined you would welcome the opportunity to expand on your knowledge, particularly since you had gone to all the trouble of posting some it in the first instance.

#17     Dec 13, 2010
  8. RN

Stop telling the newbies the truth.

Let them continue searching for high probability stuff :)

CT

#18     Dec 13, 2010
  9. sponge

sponge

What part does the size of the pullback play to indicate a potential setup? It appears from what you have described that you're looking for a smaller sized pullback (< z bars) that then fails to make a HH as a potential reversal?

#19     Dec 13, 2010
  10. Then they are not all "50/50" after all, are they? Not that I am suggesting placing a number on the "probability" of it, but some setups are better than others a priori. The outcome, as always, is another matter.
    I think you are unnecessarily combining two issues here. I personally don't like the term "high probability setup" because I don't believe you can really attach a numeric probability to a setup with any real accuracy or reliability. However, that does not diminish the fact that some setups are better than others (a priori) irrespective of what the outcome of the trade may actually be. However, just because a setup comfortably exceeds minimum setup criteria, thereby rendering it, however erroneously, a "high probability setup," doesn't automatically mean that the trader will or should hold onto it if the trade moves against him beyond whatever exit point he had (pre)determined. Once a trade is in play it more or less lives and dies by its own merit.

Just my two cents in an ongoing and friendly discourse.

#20     Dec 13, 2010