High Pings & Latencies in Day Trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scientist, Jan 25, 2004.

1. I'm not sure everyone here understands what a millisecond is, or what exactly is causing the latency. A millisecond is 1/1000 of a second. The speed of light travels at 186,282 miles per second, which is also how fast your data travels unrestricted. A few quick calculations will tell you that in one millisecond, your data should travel 1,862.82 miles. So in a little over 6 milliseconds your data could travel 12,000 miles. Since the earth is roughly 24,00 miles in circumference, 6 milliseconds should get your data anywhere on the planet (assuming it can take the shortest path). All the delays occur when your data travels through the many switches as it makes its way across the internet (all those hops you see on a tracert). Solve all of your problems by getting a direct T-1 connection to your broker. I don't mean a T-1 connection to the internet, but a direct T-1 connection. I use brokers in Chicago and New York, and I am in Florida. When I ping either broker, I see one hop<10ms. A direct T-1 is switched permanently so that one always open path is established between you and your broker. An internet T-1 gets you out of the house reliably, but then it hops all over hell and back on the internet just like your neighbors dial up 28k modem does. The only way to get around the latency for good is to live very close to where you trade (so fewer hops are needed) or fork over the extra dough for a direct T-1.

Regards

#31     Jan 26, 2004
  2. Taking that response test, I come in at an avg of 500ms. So much for nit picking about 100-200 ms transmission time differences. You guys are trading against Cray's hardwired to the Globex server anyhow, so don't sweat it.

#32     Jan 26, 2004
  3. hey stock777, thanks for the words, but I have already gone in on exactly all this on this thread - you, the 'executor' being the weakest link.

However, regardless of how fast you are, the guys with the faster ping will clearly get their order in before you do and grab your trade - given they're otherwise (in their brain, decisions) just as fast as you are.

Example:
    Your decision time = 500ms + latency 350ms = 850ms total
    Enemy's decision t= 500ms + latency 30ms = 530ms total

Is anybody getting my point here, or am I just speaking French? Just looking at this simple logic, there clearly is an advantage in having faster ping, no matter how much faster your brain is (and particularly if it's slower). If you get your order in 320ms, 100ms, 50ms, or 5ms later, it really doesn't matter, right? "Later" is "later", is equal "too late"...

The point is not who's fast, and/or how fast. The only point in trading is who is the fastest - in total execution time.

#33     Jan 26, 2004
  4. Diode

Diode

1. Back when I was a practicing electrical engineer, the rule of thumb was that signals on a printed circuit board travel about 1/3 the speed of light.

2. You can calculate the speed at which signals propagate in a long-distance fiber-optic link if you know the index of refraction of the medium.

3. The minimum round-trip transit time to/from a geosynchronous satellite is about 240ms, regardless of where the earth endpoints are located.

#34     Jan 26, 2004
  5. traderob

traderob

Great resource to put the time in perspective. I averaged 300ms over 6 tries.
    I am now pretty sure my 200ms ping is not going to disadvantage me.

#35     Jan 26, 2004
  6. traderob

traderob

Good point.

#36     Jan 26, 2004
  7. mg_mg

mg_mg

Can anyone post the URL or IP addresses for IB Asian and European servers? Thanks.

#37     Jan 26, 2004
  8. okwon

okwon

Excuse my ignorance, but is a direct T-1 the same as a point to point T-1 connection?

How is that priced? Does price increase with distance? For example would it cost more for a direct T-1 from overseas to Chicago or even just CA to Chicago than it would from NY to Chicago?

#38     Jan 26, 2004
  9. Yes, but not the same as a T1 to the internet.

Priced by distance and the local loop.

USVI to St. Charles was $20K month.

St. Charles to downtown around $1K month.

Miami to St. Charles $4K month.

Bahamas to St. Charles $15K month.

Got the concept ...

#39     Jan 26, 2004
  10. You're all missing the point.

The guy with the fastest connection and hand speed doesn't win.

The guy with the best entry and exit strategy does.

If I can identify a bottom 3 seconds before everyone else, then I win.

It's as simple as that.

Runningbear

#40     Jan 26, 2004