High Pings & Latencies in Day Trading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scientist, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Amazing! Means your pings to Australia first go east to the L.A. backbone, then from there south-west through the southern-cross cable!
    Very interesting, though. Particularly that you live in Japan! Are you American resident, or Japanese, or European?
    I always considered living in Japan for a while. It's such a cool place in so many ways... You certainly have all the technology - and cheap!

Wait... I only know a few phrases... Like "Kono hontoniiiiii subarashi gohan!" :p

#11     Jan 25, 2004
  2. traderob

traderob

Pretty good Japanese, Scientist.
    I' m a European and Japan is a great country to live.

#12     Jan 25, 2004
  3. prox

prox

I don't think there's any real difference in trading between a 330 or a 60 ping. This isn't Quake.

#13     Jan 25, 2004

4. right on, scientist ! i really like the soros qoute.

best,

surfer

#14     Jan 25, 2004
  5. LOL! That is so funny you mention that! I talked to my local TT rep (TT Australia) last week and we discussed latencies.

He said: "Hey, we're routing your orders to Eurex in less than 350ms. That's about half the time it takes with even the closest competitor. How much faster do you want it?"

Me: "Well, I have friends in Europe who go out of their way changing connections etc in order to get their latencies from 130ms to 110ms and stuff like that!"

He was like: "Mate, maybe if you're playing Quake and want to avoid some missile hitting your head. For trading, an odd 300ms is pretty fine I reckon. But as your concern..."

:D

#15     Jan 25, 2004
  6. nitro

nitro

I don't understand the question. You have data to the effect that ping times and latency does not in anyway affect (your) trading, and yet you have had hundreds of discussions about it?

If you are making money trading the way you do, and the latency is not an issue, don't fix what is not broken.

nitro

#16     Jan 25, 2004
  7. Aaron

Aaron

As a corollary to this, I would say where you live doesn't matter either. If you are executing your trades manually, then you are the slowest point in the execution chain, regardless of where you live. And if you are executing automatically, then you can easily put your trading program on a remote server within the same country as the exchange and again it doesn't matter where you administer your server from.

Thanks to Prophet and Gordon Gekko, for explaining to me about servers. One more question... What is a colocated server?

#17     Jan 25, 2004
  8. i trade with 1 monitor. so sometimes i have to do alt+tab or something to change windows before i make a trade. just that right there slows me down. now, i'm not a scalper or anything, so all this isn't really that big a deal to me. eventually i'll get an additional monitor or so.

#18     Jan 25, 2004
  9. co-located is basically that you administer your own server, but you have it somewhere else.

http://addy.com/home/pages/colocated.html

#19     Jan 25, 2004
  10. nitro

nitro

This is decidedly false.

nitro

#20     Jan 25, 2004