High-performance trading architecture.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Waterloo, Sep 27, 2005.

1. #11     Sep 27, 2005
  2. I designed and built them for > 1B funds. Like the other poster said, smaller funds dont need that level of detail.

We use my designs in our proprietary systems - we own the trading systems designs. Few people have this option.

#12     Sep 28, 2005
  3. jason_l

jason_l

The size of the fund (in $) would have very little, if any, bearing on the IT infrastructure requirements. I coded the pub/sub messaging broker for Bank One, and never once did I need to ask "how much money does the bank have" :)

#13     Sep 28, 2005
  4. nitro

nitro

Hire me for a week and I will tell you and implement it for you.

nitro

#14     Sep 28, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

#15     Sep 28, 2005
  6. ..Huh ?

Messaging brokers in one form or another have been implemented by many people/teams at various financial insitutions. I have run across several that were ultimately discarded because the designers did not actually complete their due diligence on the designs and assumed infinite scalability - which is not possible but often sold.

Most organizations that have this need are looking to standardize these implementations rather than use one off designs.

#16     Sep 28, 2005
  7. I expected to hear from you. :) You seem to be techish.

PRT_SYSTEMS - Interesting.

Anyone care to share a topology? Software or hardware.

Here's what I found...
    http://www.irisfinancial.com/techno...es/VolumeTradingPaper.pdf/ref:O40040D196DC08/
    http://www.egenera.com/pdf/wp_app_blueprint.pdf

I tired http://www.ssrn.com/ with no luck. Lots of good papers though.

I have yet to find anything that isn't an ad.

Why are there no books on this? If I build a website I can find plenty of book help. There just doesn't seem to be any in this area. Seems like a topic waiting for an author. :)

#17     Sep 28, 2005
  8. To be fair, maybe that's all jason_l was permitted to see. I think you eluded to this in one of your earlier postings - you dole out small pieces to different people for IP reasons.

#18     Sep 28, 2005
  9. Well there are books on this ... they just dont explicitely tell you that you can use the ideas to build a trading system, and if they do, only provide toy examples.

The idea of using an asynchronous/synchronous message delivery mechanism is nothing new. There are a number of implementation "gotchas" . Often designers and programmers never finish the required design work before putting these into production - they never fully specify or validate the break points of the design. A common problem that often escapes discussion until there is a problem.....

#19     Sep 28, 2005
  10. prt_systems - no obligation to respond but
    if you don't mind sharing, you went to grad school I believe, was it in finance or engineering. How did you get into such high end stuff? I find it a nice balance between my engineering background and my financial interest.

Just curious.

#20     Sep 28, 2005