High Muscle Strength Drops Cancer Chances by 30%

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Oct 2, 2017.

1. So having a body fat percentage higher than 10% but lower than 15% is bad? Admittedly, it's not the single digit I had when I was measured in my 30s, but I'd say it's still fairly decent for a 59-year-old.

Tough crowd.

#41     Dec 5, 2017
  2. Sorry, I misread your previous post. I read that it was below 15% and then doubled. My bad.

#42     Dec 5, 2017
  3. Visaria

Visaria

How was it measured?

#43     Dec 9, 2017
  4. An InBody composition scale at the gym:

https://www.inbodyusa.com/

In 1992-3, I clocked in at 7% when I was in my mid-30s, but it was via calipers, which I know can be inaccurate.

I know that hydrostatic weighing has long been considered the gold standard, but I used what was readily available to me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    #44     Dec 10, 2017
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  5. This is the type where you stand on a scale (bare feet) and also hold a handle in each hand? And gives you a test result for each limb (arm, leg), plus your core?

#45     Dec 10, 2017
  6. Yes.

#46     Dec 10, 2017
    HobbyTrading likes this.
  7. Visaria

Visaria

The scales underestimate body fat by around 10%. Just fyi.

If you can just see your abs, an estimate would be about 15 to 18%. Those numbers are based on a DEXA scan.

#47     Dec 10, 2017
  8. I know they're not the gold standard, but not all bioelectrical impedance scales are created equal. There is no way it underestimated my body fat by anywhere near 10%. A while back, I read a post in a forum on one of the bodybuilding websites, where the poster included a photo and said he clocked in at around 11% on a bioelectrical impedance scale. I couldn't even see his abs. I don't know what he used, but it was wrong. I can see my abs just fine and my latest reading in August was 13.6%. I actually thought it overestimated my body fat. :D The things we say to ourselves, eh?

#48     Dec 10, 2017
  9. Visaria

Visaria

Exactly....the dude was above 21% bf in reality.

I can see my abs.....my bf% is at 17%.

#49     Dec 10, 2017
  10. Well then the scale I used is more accurate than the one he used. I came in at a couple points higher in body fat than he did, but I am noticeably leaner than he was in his photo.

#50     Dec 10, 2017