High Inflation- Bullish or Bearish?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Rearden Metal, Sep 2, 2006.

High Inflation (CPI): Which way does it move the S&P index?

1. High inflation pushes the market up.

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. High inflation pulls the market down.

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. I have no idea.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. pv150

pv150

Yeah without clarification "high inflation" will get interpreted differently. Does he mean very high you know like high high or just kinda high? Not quite hyper just above 'normal'... :confused:

6 oz of Coke cost a nickel 50 years ago. Now it's 10x more for the same amount of syrup and water. That's inflation but no one complains about it. (I'd say it's pretty damn high.) A house bought in 1988 is worth about 30% more just by inflation but most people, especially the owner, would like to think it's appreciation. In fact, they complain if it didn't go up automatically. Oh well. :D

#11     Sep 6, 2006
  2. You are talking about the government reported CPI? Trick question.

It is a trick question because CPI does not represent the reality. But in terms to how Wall Street reacts to CPI, it is a standard response, low CPI is bullish (rates stay flat or go down), high CPI is bearish (rates go up).

However, in reality, inflation is rampant. As the money supply grows and grows with the Fed member banks pyramiding loans, the dollar keeps depreciating. Which means asset inflation, hence "bullish" for equities to simply stay the same intrinsic value, they have to go up in US$ terms.

My point is that the reported CPI means jack sh*t for the most part because it is a number that is decided upon before it is calculated. It's all about money supply, mainly M3 which is not reported anymore. And judging from real life inflation, M3 is still being grown rapidly and liquidity is plentiful. Those dollars have to go somewhere, why do you guys think the financial sector has grown so much in the last 30 years. I would say 80%+ of the financial sector is nothing more than bullsh*t manufactured by turning up the printing presses.

Equities will most likely not be the frontier of the liquidity but they will benefit. Some new products will be pumped out through financial engineering (aka financial BS). But high inflation will continue as it has, so I guess there is your answer.

#12     Sep 6, 2006
  3. You say that as the dollar is depreciating there is asset inflation, what assets are you talking about? And I don't understand how the assets's value would inflate, wouldn't their real value go down?

#13     Sep 8, 2006
  4. Hydro nailed it!

#14     Sep 8, 2006