High frequency trading strategies

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by skauf, Jan 11, 2010.

1. don't discount ignorance as well...

#21     Jan 25, 2010
  2. If you're talking futures... i have no idea how they make this work. If it's equities.. than thats a different story. Its kind of the new "holy grail" of market making. Does anyone here HF trade Nasdaq stocks on a daily basis? PM me if so.

thanks,

Moc.

#22     Jan 27, 2010
  3. Only arbitrage would work - anything else IMHO is a physical impossibility.

In stocks:
    * This were flash orders, where you got the orders a millisecond before normal participants and could decide, for example, to buy the stock from the market then resell it to the normal dude. YOu paid for the priviledge. THis does not exist in futures ;)
    * Futures I can basically see arbitrage - trying to make a tick of differences (between exchanges, between the future and the cash market) and be faster than all other computers. For example, the ES is a basket of stocks - if you can get the stock basket cheaper than the futures.... you can buy them, then sell a future contract ;) Make some money. But yo have to be FAST and get 500 or so stocks at the same time - typical computer stuff.

Anything else I can not see in futures. Take the ES - with bid / size ask around hundred+, a normal bid/ask spread gain attempt is not high frequency.... can take a minute to fill. I just dont see anything in futures where HF trading would even have a chance to be usefull.

#23     Jan 27, 2010
  4. d138

d138

NetTecture, you will be probably surprised by my statement but flash orders were hurting not helping HF traders. Also your explanation does not make sense, if I buy from the market and resell to the normal dude at the same price, I will just pay to active fee and make no money

#24     Jan 27, 2010
  5. Actually no - the idea of a flash order trade is to clear out the book in front of market orders then resell a tick higher ;) Naturally requires certain conditions to be met, but very doable.

So, if I am wrong - please give me some examples of a HF trade in futures ;)

#25     Jan 27, 2010
  6. d138

d138

It's a common misconception that HF traders make money by taking offers and consuming liquidity. If fact they provide liquidity by selling at the offer and buying at the bid. This is happening both in equities and futures. It's even simpler in futures since tick is wider there.
    Flash orders allowed everybody not just HF trader to provider liquidity.

#26     Jan 27, 2010
  7. Nice, they provide liquidity to losers. What good is liquidity if you already are losing money cause someone got ahead of you?

#27     Jan 28, 2010
  8. Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner!
    So if you can pay more to get ahead of everyone else, why wouldn't
    you?

I do. And I'm grinning ear to ear baby! :)

#28     Jan 28, 2010
  9. d138

d138

Several years ago the minimal spread was one eight of a dollar, so when you wanted to by any stock you have to overpay at least 8.25 cents. Now spreads are tight and you pay half a cent. HFT took money from floor market makers, not you.
    Regarding losers - you had 100% over the "flashing" behavior. On some venues you had to mark your order specially to make it flash (or you had option to make it not flash on other venue) . If you think it's hurting your - RTFM and put the right flag. If you don't bother reading documentation then may be you should not trade to start with.

#29     Jan 28, 2010
  10. skauf

skauf

I don't understand. How can you constantly and at HF buy at the bid and sell at the offer? You'd have to hold a large amount of both sides to do this at any given time, meaning you will also lose whenever you win, no?

Also, arguably investment banks and and other large market making institutions might be able to pull this off and be profitable consistently, by chopping their large positions slightly in the right direction all the time. But we've all heard of private propshops and hedge funds that allegedly do this - they have to have another angle.

#30     Jan 29, 2010