High End Stereo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Scataphagos, Feb 10, 2013.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

#31     Feb 13, 2013
  2. Kind of like wrist watches.

I was happy with my $200 Seiko...

Until I got a $1,000 Cyma... and then

Until I got a $2,000 Tag... (No, I'm not ever blowing $20,000 on a Rolex!... it's just a farkin' watch.)

Where does it all stop??

If you shop well, you can get a really terrific stereo system these days for $2,000-$2,500.* Beyond that, perhaps it's just bragging...

*20 years ago I spent more than that for a pair of Kef 104s

:D

#32     Feb 13, 2013
  3. Don't doubt that for a second. Some "download" music is poor... even at best it's only "OK"... suitable for background listening only... which is OK for what it is... I do a lot of that myself... shooting pool, working in the garage... but no comparison to a high-quality CD (or vinyl) played over a fine sound system.

#33     Feb 13, 2013
  4. tsk4

tsk4

Interesting topic. I find I do most of my music listening through itunes in the home office at the end of the day. I finally got tired of listening to poor computer oriented speaker systems that I bought a pair of event alp5 reference speakers.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/eventalp5.htm

Compared to my Klipsch /M&K Sub home theater they certainly are flat and directional, but that's what reference speakers are for. For anyone in a similar situation I highly recommend looking at a similar setup.

Good to hear a personal review of the axiom speakers.

#34     Feb 13, 2013