High End Stereo

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Scataphagos, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Most of the audio equipment today is "home theater"... 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Many say such audio quality is inferior to "2-channel, stereo only" amps... of which choices are limited.

Not sure I could tell the difference, but I opted for a Yamaha 2-channel amp for my floor-standing speakers in the game room.

#21     Feb 12, 2013
  2. Boss302

Boss302

Home theatre is great for just that, movies, but it stinks for music. They are really two different animals the way they are recorded. On the surface you might think the more speakers the better but with a good two channel you will get 1) Soundstage which is pretty much as the definition implies, and 2. Imaging, where the performers can be "located" in front of you as you listen. With a decent system you can close your eyes and the music comes from a stage much wider than the width of the speakers. You can literally point to the sax, guitar, or whatever.

#22     Feb 12, 2013
  3. tango29

tango29

That is my understanding. I am looking to have a stereo room and tv 7.1 channel room. I want to be able to play the stereo and relax, and have the theater experience for movies. The ideal is to turn one off to enjoy the other. Please post your recomendations for receivers, amps and so forth.

#23     Feb 13, 2013
  4. tango29

tango29

My week hasn't been spectular, but I am at $1100 for my goal.

#24     Feb 13, 2013
  5. jem

jem

I was very happy with the 1500 I spent on my jbl system, til I got to this thread.

I allow myself to be very happy with them. Now you all have me second guessing.

#25     Feb 13, 2013
  6. bone

bone

Old School Excellence that still holds up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#27     Feb 13, 2013
  7. bone

bone

More Old School excellence that really holds up well:

[​IMG]

#28     Feb 13, 2013
  8. Audiophiles--- when listening to satellite radio, I hear a weird droning sound that I dont' hear on MP3's or regular radio--- my friends advise that they don't hear a difference--- is sat music compressed even more than the MP3 digital? surf:confused:

#29     Feb 13, 2013
  9. jem

jem

I am no longer an audiphiles but I think I once was.
    Like the other poster... kids and wives get in the way of zoning out in front of great music. Its a choice I am happy with, but it does not mean I do not miss zoning out or going off skiing whenever there was snow.

My wife has satellite radio in her tahoe.
    I dont like it... but it is probably the speakers.

I dont like Itunes or google play too much either but google play and pandora are so easy I have gotten accustomed to it.

I have identified Itunes vs cds in a blind test for my brother in law who was calling bullshit on me. after about 5 or 6 songs... he began to notice it too.

#30     Feb 13, 2013