Hig

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by NoDoji, Feb 23, 2009.

1. If I listened to the idiots on CNBC I wouldn't have bought a boatload of BAC last week at 2.70 when it rolled off the table after Dodd's stupid comment.

#31     Feb 26, 2009
  2. My 2 cents on playing this stuff in this market is, identify the stocks you're interested in then buy when it's selling off and it feels like it's going to zero. Every time I've done this I've made huge returns. OTOH every time I've bought with the feeling that I needed to get in or lose out I lost.

#32     Feb 26, 2009
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

Excellent advice, IMHO!

#33     Feb 26, 2009
  4. This is very funny but I got to share this story with you guys. I have 5 sisters who love to trade stocks (not daily, they have their full time jobs).

One sister loves to chase stocks and lost often. When she hold them and got hurt badly, she called me to complaint about her luck. At the same time, she told another sister to buy. This one doesn't even look at the market and make money often because the sister who bought at a higher price couldn't handle the pain any more. In fact, she always says..will it go to zero?

#34     Feb 26, 2009
  5. m22au

m22au

S&P downgrades life insurers on 'stressed assets'

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/sp-downgrades-life-insurers/story.aspx?guid={7BC2D05F-4352-4205-B4C1-A4D7AC315AD9}&siteid=yhoof

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said late Thursday it has lowered its ratings on several U.S. life insurers and life insurance holding companies, citing the groups' stressed assets and the "effects of severe equity market declines."
    S&P said it lowered its counterparty credit and financial strength ratings on 10 groups of U.S. life insurers, and its counterparty credit ratings on seven U.S. life insurance holding companies.
    "In response to the extreme pressures in the global economy, we recently published criteria that outlined the incremental stress analysis we are now applying to U.S. insurers' bond holdings, commercial mortgages, and commercial mortgage-backed securities when we assess these companies' capital adequacy," S&P said.
    The ratings firm added that, "Although today's rating actions reflect our opinion of a general decline in the overall creditworthiness of the U.S. life insurance sector, we continue to believe the credit fundamentals of the life insurance industry are strong."
    Insurers affected by the ratings changes include Conseco Inc. (CNO:) ,

which saw its counterparty credit rating cut to CCC, denoting very weak security characteristics.
    Genworth Financial Inc. (GNW)

saw its rating cut to BBB, denoting good but more likely to be affected by adverse business conditions than higher-rated insurers, while Hartford Financial Services Group Inc.'s (HIG:)

rating was cut to BBB+.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINN2634879220090227?rpc=44

NEW YORK, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Standard & Poor's on Thursday cut its ratings on a slew of life insurers, including Metlife Inc (MET.N) and Hartford Financial Group (HIG.N), after it increased its loss assumptions for certain securities in relation to the insurers' capital adequacy.

The downgrades also reflect "severe equity market declines and volatility on earnings and capital adequacy," S&P said in a statement. "We expect that the effect of these factors will challenge life companies' competitive strengths and ability to generate profitable business."

S&P cut Metlife one notch to "A-minus," the seventh highest investment grade, and cut its insurance unit one step to "AA-minus," the fourth highest investment grade.

Hartford was also cut one step to "BBB-plus," the third lowest investment grade, while its insurance arm was cut one notch to "A-plus," the fifth highest investment grade. Both of these units remain on review for further downgrade.

Genworth Financial Inc (GNW.N) was downgraded two notches to "BBB", the second lowest investment grade, and its insurance unit two notches to "A," the sixth highest investment grade.

Prudential Financial Inc (PRU.N) was affirmed at "A," the sixth highest investment grade, while its core operating subsidiaries were cut one notch to "AA-minus," the fourth highest investment grade.

Other insurers that were cut include Conseco Inc (CNO.N), Lincoln National Corp (LNC.N), Midland National Life Insurance Co, Pacific LifeCorp, Protective Life Corp (PL.N) and Security Mutual Life Insurance Co. of NY. For the full release, see [ID:nWNA7616].

Symetra Financial Corp retained its rating, but its outlook was changed to negative from stable, while Americo Life Inc was placed on a negative credit watch. (Reporting by Karen Brettell; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

#35     Feb 27, 2009
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Good stuff bro!!

#36     Feb 27, 2009
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

Btw, MrStocker, thanks for the post/link!!! Props to you and nodoji!!!

I was going to buy 3,000 shares around $7. HIG's $5.95 now.

#37     Feb 27, 2009
  8. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes, MrStocker, thank you. I'm holding off on HIG for now, but got DRYS back in the IRAs today @ 3.52, figuring I could handle a 3.52 worst case scenario drop :D

#38     Feb 27, 2009
  9. Is this to say a drop from 3.52 to 0 is better than from 10 to 0? Or, 50 to 0?

#39     Feb 27, 2009
  10. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes, much less $$ at risk.

#40     Feb 27, 2009