Hidden options order @ IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tonyf, Jul 22, 2020.

1. tonyf

tonyf

All my hidden option orders are showing up on TWS with a dark blue status (vs green for stocks) in the activity window.

Are hidden orders permissible/allowed by the exchanges? will they get filled if status is dark blue?

Thanks

2. guru

guru

No, they aren’t supported by exchanges.
    IB will usually send them to an exchange after they’re marketable, meaning after your price matches a bid or ask.

Though it’s possible that IB may be doing a little extra work in the background, like trying to submit them periodically to see if an MM may match it. Actually that wouldn’t keep those orders hidden, but it’s just an example that there may be something else about hidden orders that we don’t know. (never asked IB about this but you could)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Atikon likes this.
  3. tonyf

tonyf

Thanks for that - what about the hidden part of an Iceberg limit order?

4. ajacobson

ajacobson

Yes, they are supported by a number of exchanges. They are live on some smart routers of the consolidators and made available to customers of the brokers that participate in the routing agreement.
    Traditionally IB has not been a participant. You might want to ask them. Look at the exchange filing(s).

They work like this - assume a broker cuts a routing deal with SIG. SIG may show 10 up for the public feed but actually offer 20 up for the houses they have routing deal with. They have been around for the better part of a decade.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    FSU and Atikon like this.
  5. guru

guru

I currently do this via IB using displayed qty, basically not showing the full qty of my order, but still having to show some qty.
    Is this what you're referring to?

6. ajacobson

ajacobson

Nope and IB didn't used to be a participant.

7. tonyf

tonyf

Is your non displayed quantity getting filled?

8. ajacobson

ajacobson

Is your non displayed quantity getting filled?

Depending on the total size and if your broker is a participant.

Atikon likes this.
  9. guru

guru

Yes, because once the displayed qty is filled then the hidden qty gets shifted back to the displayed qty, so the displayed qty is always there.
    I don't recall whether the hidden part could get filled immediately as well, as I haven't done this in a while. You could try it and see how the hidden qty gets filled. But you can't just hide full orders.

Atikon and tonyf like this.
  10. ajacobson

ajacobson

Not unless your broker is a participant and even then it depends on what size is available.

#10     Jul 22, 2020