Hi, explain to me how adding to a WINNING position is profitable?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Sep 25, 2008.

1. The thing is your "maximum" changes on strength. That's the idea-to use your open profits for additional margining.

For example: During the recent Euro-FX decline one would've been able to double down (if so skilled or inclined) several times and wind up with 10x their original size on. All financed with open trade equity.

#31     Sep 25, 2008
  2. Closeout the first trade at 105. On pull back.. re-enter as a new trade with larger position. Each trade in any averaging down scenario should still be calculated on its own. Your net is the averaged results.

If this is a short term play why not add to your position with options?

We algotrade a 5 strike averaging down system for ES futures. Trade add increments are 1 - 2 - 6 - 18 - 36 at -5, -12.5, -17.5, -25 points from entry. Averaged down position costs are 2 1/2 points off market with an exit of 2 points. Trade long and short sets concurrently and cover roughly 50 points of intraday swing.

Always at risk of 54 contracts running away so we hedge each side with 50 OTM options. As tradesets exit profitably we liquidate the profitable options leg and reset... every 3 - 5 strikes.

If either of the tradesets exceed 5 strikes trading range without checking up 1 strike to exit our safety stop/options hedge kicks in and the tradeset is liquidated with minimal damage.

The options hedge covers 1/2 of the loss and the counter tradeset generated profits of 1/4 / 1/2 depending on swings before the stopout.

Averaging down using hedged and balanced tradesets will greatly reduce your risk of blowing out your account. Generally will make you a profit... Depends on the instruments you trade... liquidity and volatility and your ability to execute without error...

You'll take a hit every now and than but it equates out to a small loss in the grand scheme. Your options should overtime cover all losses and make you a profit.

Kind of like going to Vegas and having 50 to 1 payout on a bet each time you do not hit red or black 5 times in a row. You decide to play both red and black... and you buy insurance that covers 1/2 loss if you do hit 5 in a row and payout 1/4 each time you don't.

The Odds are no longer with house... A game like this in Vegas would get shut down in a hurry. Welcome to the zero-sum game of Trading Futures and Options... You can play as long as you ante in your exchange fees and broker commissions.

Intraday only...
    Trade often... double and average down on your losing positions, take small profits every chance you get... don't let your winners run... Buy way OTM options as a hedge.

Just about everything your taught not to do... makes profits!

#32     Oct 1, 2008
  3. I will ask Anek if I can post his chart from today so you can see how he uses averaging up to his advantage.

Daniel

#33     Oct 1, 2008
  4. People with big money bet on the behavior of Markets_

They follow what is called Trend Following which is based on the presence of Fat Tails.

Research those two things and you have your answer.

#34     Oct 1, 2008
  5. You need to add to a winner only if the price is close to your entry. This works best for day traders. For swing traders its more difficult because the markets are extremely volatile and there is no well defined trend now, thereby making the 'adding to winners' strategy less effective.

#35     Oct 1, 2008
  6. I use price and essentially I am so early to the trade now the rest of the market hasnt seen it. I can then add to it again before the real move happens.

#36     Oct 2, 2008
  7. i am curious about this too... as it make some sense to me although im not sure if its the traditional reason for adding to a winning position.

i figure that by doing this, you get in your positions with low size so that if it goes against you, your losses are less.. although if the trade does go in your direction you put the rest of your money in it and profit from the good trade..

make sense to anyone?

#37     Oct 2, 2008