HFT regulation debate

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by TraDaToR, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Is this really so?
    I'm one of those old time traders (35+years). And while I don't scalp, I do RT's in seconds or minutes in ZN and ES with no trouble at all. The young scalpers might have a hard time of it, but from what I see the old guys are hanging in there using the same ol' tactics!!

Am I wrong in saying that the HFT guys can change the BID/ASK but can't change the trend?

#11     May 14, 2012

2. You are not much of an advert for higher education.
    All your friends are losers and you spend your day like a retarded troll, parroting the same quote ad naseum.

Where did you get your MBA -in a cracker?

#12     May 14, 2012
  3. KastyG

KastyG

We all agree the abuse by HFT must stop.

#13     May 14, 2012
  4. Quote from emg:

HFTs are replacing old school. Flush all the old timer traders and bring in the Next Generation of traders (Programmers).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this really so?
    I'm one of those old time traders (35+years). And while I don't scalp, I do RT's in seconds or minutes in ZN and ES with no trouble at all. The young scalpers might have a hard time of it, but from what I see the old guys are hanging in there using the same ol' tactics!!

Am I wrong in saying that the HFT guys can change the BID/ASK but can't change the trend

• os.gif
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
    #14     May 14, 2012
  5. Competition =! Abuse

No cry babies allowed

#15     May 14, 2012
  6. plyka

plyka

This has to be a joke. HFT just seems to be the new excuse in a long line of excuses for losses. The oldest excuse in the book for losses is: "i would have been successful, if only they hadn't manipulated the market." By "they" of course the excuse maker means the powers that be.

The only time there is legitimate gripe in the trading world is when a party uses the power of government for an advantage. Banks getting bailouts is a crime, Jon Corzine NOT being punished for stealing money and fraud, is a crime. But in this case we are talking about legitimate trades. You and I both have the power to make trades as frequently as we want, we all play by the same rules. So how is it in any way illegitimate for companies to trade using HFT? It is no more or less real than you or i making trades.

If anything, one would expect HFT to make trading more reliable and predictable. We are talking about computers following algorithms. It is technicallly much more predictable than a tens of millions of people deciding to buy/sell on a whim.

#16     May 14, 2012
  7. Rimping

Rimping

You're probably right. I never hear succesfull traders complain about HFT.

#17     May 14, 2012
  8. Bison42

Bison42

Earnings and Business Development should be the factors that move individual companies.

HFT's create the illusion that there is some kind of development brewing when there is not. They are not a reliable source of liquidity since they disappear when real news hits the marketplace.

HFT's are market manipulators that orchestrate stock movements in calm conditions, forcing investors with legitimate positions to panic and make bad decisions.

When the rubber hits the road, these guys are nowhere to be found.

#18     May 14, 2012

9. Neither is the cash in your trading account

#19     May 14, 2012
  10. emg

emg

Almost 2 yrs later, HFT continues stopping out small traders

#20     Mar 31, 2014