hft finding footprints

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by dividend, Feb 1, 2012.

1. I do not fully understand how HFTs can identify footprints in the orderflow or an institution's algorithm. Can someone give concrete examples? Thanks.

2. how long hv u been on markets ?

I want it in per hours. eg. 8 hours of pm asset allocation/research/day trading = 1 day.

No point explaining to u if u r <2 yrs

3. Do you kids even know what proper writing looks like?

"u if u r" ?

You come across as an illiterate primate. Learn how to write properly before you question someone else's experience level.

4. +1

5. Dividend,

Your orders can be logged in a number of ways. Predatory HFT programs will track your order as soon as it is sent to the exchange. This allows the HFT to gauge short-term supply and demand, and allows the HFT to put together "a mosaic" of short term liquidity.

When short-term traders are primarily long, the program will try to take the stock down to shake them out, and vice-versa.

The key is to show your hand as little as possible in this HFT world. I'm a big fan of taking liquidity, and showing the HFT programs as little as possible.

Here is an article from CFA mag that explains some of this.

http://www.premarketinfo.com/public/files/cfm.v21.n4.16.pdf

6. the fact that his id on this forum dates back to 2004 should give you a hint that he's not exactly a rookie...

7. It's the new generation sir. They did not learn to write with a pen but with an iPhone.

8. JFGI.
    But if you can't:
    1-KO moves 5 cents in 10 milliseconds and PEP did not move yet. You lift PEP place a limit 2 cents higher and expect to get lifted. Refered to as correlation trading.
    2-You have a low priced stock that make a lot of volume in one day but is not volatile (C before reverse split). You place a bid at 4.10, if someone sells it to you you place a reverse order on the other side trying to make a penny + liquidity providing rebate.
    3-The famous flash orders, I let you GOOG this one.
    4-Intermarket arbitrage.
    5-Your algo detects a buying iceberg and buy before it is done and sells to the iceberg at a higher price.
    6-...

9. :) you can google my nick, search up my posts in this forum and other forums, and see what you get :)

#10     Feb 2, 2012