Hey. "This Occupy Wall Street" thing is starting to grow.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wilburbear, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I never said these protestors were cockroaches and I support all "peaceful" protest. My original comments on this thread were attacking the typical trust fund baby that votes into power the very people that create this economic environment then go and protest against it. It's a never ending circle.

#41     Sep 26, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.kimatv.com/news/national/130511003.html

"Police say the arrests were mostly for blocking traffic. Charges include disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. But one demonstrator was charged with assaulting a police officer. Police say the officer involved suffered a shoulder injury."

Let me try this one more time. NO! I do not support police attacking any of these people for no reason. There are probably at least 1k police there, maybe more. I'm sure 5% of those cops are terrible at what they do, maybe 10%. The same is true for the protestors. If 2k protestors are there, maybe 10% of them are bad, that means there are 200 of them that are going to create a very dangerous environment not only for other protestors but also for the people who live and work downtown.

#42     Sep 26, 2011
  3. Fair enough, thank you.

Do you have any evidence to support this charge? I only ask because in many of the clips I do see police filming. I caught a mention of this on YNN this weekend and there was no talk of property damage or the police being attacked...just the arrests.

On this we agree.

#43     Sep 26, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

See previous post.

#44     Sep 26, 2011
  5. pspr

pspr

It says ONE was arrested for attacking a cop. Unprovoked, I'm sure. As I said before, it is the protesters right to peacfully protest. The cops should back off and close the street if necessary to provide safety.

I think your guess that 10% are bad is a leap. A real leap.

I'm sure this is biased but this is what I see, too. From your story:

Protest spokesman Patrick Bruner criticized the police response as "exceedingly violent" and said the protesters sought to remain peaceful.

#45     Sep 26, 2011
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Well, if I said many voted for Obama and didn't get what they expected I'm sure you and many others would heartily agree, am I right? And if those same folks were on the street protesting Obama now, not only would you condone it, you might even encourage it, right?

Edit: my point about the "blue in the face" reply is that Power typically ignores dissent forever until it becomes violent. That's why the nicety of "violence doesn't work" is false, violence does work, it gets attention and requires a response like nothing else.

#46     Sep 26, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ricter, I condone all protest whether it be tea partiers or this event. I don't condone shutting down a city.

And Ricter, you of all people should know this, violence begets more violence. It's a not a solution.

#47     Sep 26, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

That's what Power always says. Keep your protest muted, with no consequences or inconvenience to us, and you're free to do it.

#48     Sep 26, 2011
  9. pspr

pspr

Ricter is just falling in line with the regular Obama/Democratic M.O.. If you can't win on argument, resort to violence. :p

#49     Sep 26, 2011
  10. Ricter

Ricter

If so, you're just staying in line as a sheep.

#50     Sep 26, 2011