Hey. "This Occupy Wall Street" thing is starting to grow.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wilburbear, Sep 25, 2011.

1. That's a fair point. However, do you believe that the police should have to play by the rules and use the least amount of force necessary to control a given situation?

#21     Sep 26, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

I don't know how many people on this board live in NY or have lived in NY, but I can tell you having lived there that things can get out of control really fast. This is not Kansas City. With the density of people in Manhattan, things can get dangerous very fast. The cops are trying to "manage" the situation. They can't stop it, they can only try to manage it. These kids don't want calm, they want anarchy. They want youtube videos. They want to incite the cops so they can get hit and make a point to the world. I've been there, I've seen it happen. these groups of protestors know the game and know it well.

It's funny when a bunch of tea party people gather together and sit quietly and hold up signs, the left wants to band them as out of control racists. But this type of protest is seen as healthy and righteous.

#22     Sep 26, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

You don't understand. When you start anarchy, the rules are gone. The goal is to prevent the anarchy from happening. These kids don't want that. They do NOT want peaceful protest.

#23     Sep 26, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

You think? Of course they get worked up. Try being a cop for a day in that situation and get back to me on how easy it is.

#24     Sep 26, 2011
  5. pspr

pspr

So you think I'm a lefty? You're comprehension of those on this board is severely lacking.

If the cops would treat this like they do on New Years eve and only target the real problem makers they would be doing their job. Resorting to the rash tactics they are employing is only making it worse by antagonizing people. They are asking for a full blown riot.

#25     Sep 26, 2011
  6. Anarchy is defined as the absence of government so I'm not sure how you make the leap to calling a protest anarchy...perhaps you could explain?

Also, I have yet to see any clips of protesters breaking things, or attacking the police. I'm not suggesting this hasn't happened..because I don't know if it has or not. I'm curious what you are basing your assertion on, that they (protesters) do not want a peaceful protest...perhaps you could elaborate.

Finally, there exists a principle in law enforcement referred to as the proper escalation of force. Just so I am clear, are you suggesting that when people protest, this principle should be thrown out the window?

#26     Sep 26, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

When did I say you were a lefty? Relax dude. I'm asking you to put on a fucking uniform before you start judging people so easily from the safety of your computer. I am NOT endorsing cops beating these kids. I'm saying the youtube videos you are watching are single data points of hours and hours of footage of which some "minutes" of that footage is going to be violent. Not every fucking cop in the world is as perfect as you apparently are. Some are better then others.

I'm sure the police academy is taking applications if you think you can do a better job.

#27     Sep 26, 2011
  8. Ricter

Ricter

History shows again and again that people can talk to power until they're "blue in the face" and get utterly nothing for their efforts.

#28     Sep 26, 2011
  9. pspr

pspr

I'm losing respect for you dude. Have you looked at the videos? Do you see anyone breaking anything or attacking the cops? I don't. All I see are cops taking down people for apparently no reason. The cops need to act in a higher manner than the protesters. They are not.

#29     Sep 26, 2011
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, I'm saying you are watching this from your computer not from the streets. I have lived in NY. i have attended these protests. Hell, I have friends that do this shit. Don't break things? On average these protests cause 100's of thousands in damage. Worse, they can spark violent riots, not just between cops and the protestors but between other protestors. These things get out of control very fast.

Listen to me very carefully. You are watching Youtube videos. You are not THERE. These videos are showing one side of the story at one particular point in time.

#30     Sep 26, 2011