Hey IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Fishbird, Sep 9, 2005.

1. NKNY

NKNY

I would have to agree.....a bare bones version the they never tinker with would be nice...

Nick

#11     Sep 11, 2005
  2. NKNY

NKNY

I happen to believe that if your method, model or system ( Whatever you like to call it) has no edge. A fast broker will only help you lose your money faster. Therefore, it can't possibly be an edge in and of itself.

Nick

#12     Sep 11, 2005
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Of course, from this angle, you would be correct. But if a trader has a legitimate edge, then the speed and reliability of his broker is very definitely another edge.

#13     Sep 11, 2005
  4. NKNY

NKNY

Then yes, speed would be an additional edge. In my trading however speed isn't really important....reliability is.

Nick

#14     Sep 11, 2005
  5. elbee2

elbee2

Version 851.6 of TWS is currently rejecting orders submitted by API.

#15     Sep 11, 2005
  6. I'm having no problem with API orders.

#16     Sep 11, 2005
  7. Choad

Choad

Did you?:

Configure --> API --> Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients

#17     Sep 11, 2005
  8. alanm

alanm

But which is it? October 10th or September 16th?

I do upgrades on the weekend after backups and other maintenance. Forcing me into a mid-week update is not very nice. Please reconsider, IB.

#18     Sep 12, 2005
  9. Quiet1

Quiet1

cut out the API and TWS altogether by using the FIX interface, no?

not done it but looks like the way to go...

Q1

#19     Sep 12, 2005
  10. JackR

JackR

alanm:

I'd do it this coming weekend. See if it works and roll back if it doesn't.

From another thread:

just make sure to backup your settings directory before upgrading. For stand-alone users, the settings directory is a subdirectory of c:\jts and has a jumbled name such as "dhingdg." To verify the name of your settings directory: run TWS, select a ticker row, and press ctrl-alt-U; a message box will appear specifying the full path of the directory."

Also this one (for after you upgrade):

If you select "File/Manage Workspaces" from the main menu, you should see a workspace listed called "pre-upgrade." If you select it and click "Apply Workspace," it should restore things to the way they looked before the upgrade. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

I upgraded without problems but I do nothing fancy. Why IB did not provide the info above in the release notes or with the notification is beyond me. They try hard, but seem to think like software weenies, not software users. I think they presume too much technical knowledge on their user's part.

Jack

#20     Sep 12, 2005