Hey Blockbuster Just File For Bankruptcy Already!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Sep 15, 2009.

1. S2007S

S2007S

TENS OF THOUSANDS OF JOBS WOULD BE LOST, doesnt matter though, the economy is coming back strong so any further job losses from here in should be absorbed by the new jobs the economy is creating at this very moment.

:p

#11     Sep 16, 2009
  2. Arnie

Arnie

I'll tell who would probably be very interested in SOME of those locations....Panera Bread......and they have lots of cash. Everytime I ride by one, they are packed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125055615200338805.html

While other recession-wracked restaurant chains offer meals for as little as $5, Panera Bread Co. has this deal on its menu: a lobster sandwich for $16.99.

Panera has been bucking conventional industry wisdom during the downturn by eschewing discounts and instead targeting customers who can still afford to shell out an average of about $8.50 for lunch.

The St. Louis-based chain of 1,400 cafes says it has been able to persuade customers to pay premiums because it has been improving the quality of its food.

"Most of the world seems to be focused on the Americans who are unemployed," says Panera Chief Executive Ron Shaich. "We're focused on the 90% that are still employed."

While second-quarter sales at stores open at least one year were flat, same-store sales at company-owned stores rose 2.8% in the first 27 days of the current third quarter. Panera is projecting growth this quarter in its operating profit, average customer check and number of transactions.

Panera's results contrast with those of many other casual-dining chains, which have been posting negative same-store sales, due partly to declining traffic and lower-priced food. Some have found that discounting has not only hurt margins, but failed to lure as many customers as hoped.

#12     Sep 16, 2009
  3. I just wish Wayne still owned it, that pock faced, porkfaced devil.

The Ever Disliking The Fins Owner VIPER

#13     Sep 16, 2009
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Panera near me is packed as well, I guess people can afford $1.50+ bagels and $3.00 desserts, however I still DO NOT comprehend why people have to go and sit down at a "hotspot" or free "wifi" place like a panera and use a computer, why? What is the purpose of spending 2-3 hours in a franchise with headphones and computer running, I just don't get it, every time I go in for a few minutes to pick something up there are at least 4-5 people sitting by themselves with a laptop on hand. Cant they update their facebook or talk on messenger from home. I guess they need to look important which I guess is the standard in 2009 and beyond.

#14     Sep 16, 2009
  5. 1) Panera is okay. They have a decent chicken salad dandwich. Where I am, it seems to attract mostly older, retired farts. I stay away because I feel like I am somebody's grandson while there.
    2) It may be an example of a higher-end establishment that is able to avoid recession for a longer period of time.
    3) The company's optimism may be cause for "concern" in this environment. :cool:

#15     Sep 16, 2009
  6. 1) Are they attempting to "eavesdrop" and steal other people's computer passwords and personal information?
    2) Those peoples' next stop after Panera is probably Border's, Barnes & Noble or Starbuck's for more "people watching". :cool:

#16     Sep 16, 2009