Hey Baron/Propaganda

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by hoodooman, Mar 12, 2009.

Hoodoomans Idea is a good one

Poll closed Jun 20, 2009.
  1. agree

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. don't agree

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Baron, please consider this suggestion because I believe it is way overdue.

A lot of people post the worst kind of propaganda on ET and particularly in the politics and religion section.

An example of this today is the Hapaboy post concerning what Ann Coulter said about the present administration concerning charitable giving. No reference whatsoever is provided.

I believe that threads like these should be immediately placed in a new forum entitled,
    PROPAGANDA.

This action should immediately reduce the number of false or misleading threads which are designed to foment arguments.

This propaganda activity is becoming exceeding difficult to digest particularly when it could so easily be stopped. See poll

Awaiting your response.

Regards
    Peter Daniels

2. If there is a reference then let it stand. No reference then it goes to the propaganda forum.

3. Baron prefers a loose moderation policy. The more hits to the site, the more he can charge for advertising revenue.

Lets say he eliminated the politics and religion section then the site ranking would go down because not enough hits. I would say that that section of the site attracts the most readers although it has nothing to do with trading.

Baron is a businessman first...

4. Never kick a money paying advertiser out of bed for eating crackers.

5. Thanks for the replies. I see your point.

But I think that there should be some way to control the hate mongers who make up garbage and then post it on the p&r forum.

If you have any other ideas on how to control this kind of activity, I would like to hear them.

Regards

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I appreciate the suggestion, but honestly, I have no desire to police that forum in the way you've described.

I understand that there may be posters who post things that some consider to be pure BS, but that's the reason why I posted a warning in the description of that forum.

If it's too hot, get out of the kitchen!

7. Mercor

Mercor

I thought the article Ann wrote about the present administration concerning charitable giving was excellent.

http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/article.cgi?article=301

Google: ann coulter charitable giving
    Pretty easy to find source.
    When mounting a counter attack its better to do your own homework then to cry to Mommy Moderator.

Maybe if you were well read this would not be as frustrating to you.

8. I shouldn't have to look it up. The reference should be there.

9. My personal opinion is that Baron should take away posts of a violent nature or that are obviously slanted against a particular group of person or individual.

For example, there were posts in the past from the "Arian nation" where their group would read and lurk in Elitetraders politics and religion section. These threads would sometimes have over 50,000 views and they would mostly be slanted against Jews.

One day, Baron looked inside himself and decided that this kind of posting could not occur any longer and so the forum was mopped up quite a bit.

The 50,000+ views on the Arian nation catapulted Elitetrader's ratings and it commanded more in advertising revenue. In fact, the site's ranking has gone down as a result of excluding them from the forum.

The politics and religion section is still a place of hate and hostility. However, its come a long way when the Arian nation occupied it along with Islamic fundamentalists. It was kind of weird to log onto a site where people come to see my great calls and posts and then to scroll down and feel like the Al Quaeda where here as well.

10. Here is another aspect of this copying without providing references.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Plagiarism is the use or close imitation of the language and ideas of another author and representation of them as one's own original work.

Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier, simply by copying and pasting text from one web page to another.

Plagiarism is not copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different transgressions. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material protected by copyright is used without consent. On the other hand, plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation that is achieved through false claims of authorship.

#10     Mar 14, 2009