Hey America, Take a vacation!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Hey, America: Take a vacation!
    By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

These are the dog days of summer, and in this hot, sweltering weather most Americans are busy working. (I know, I know, not you folks in the Hamptons.)

Meanwhile, most Europeans are busy vacationing. Thus it has ever been - only it's getting worse.

Nowadays the average European gets about three times as many days of paid vacation as his counterpart in America. Italy has the most vacation days, with the average worker there getting 42 paid days off, according to the World Tourism Organization.

Next was France with 37 days, Germany with 35, Brazil at 34, the United Kingdom at 28, Canada with 26 and Korea and Japan both with 25. The United States was near the bottom of the list with the average worker getting 13 days off.

But even with those 13 days off, only 57 percent of Americans take them all.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

The conventional answer is that this attitude toward work makes the American economy the envy of the world. America has a hectic, turbo-charged system that builds, destroys and rebuilds, all at warp speed. It's what created the information revolution, Silicon Valley, hedge funds, biotechnology, nanotechnology and so on. And there's no time in it for lolling on the beach!

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/04/hey-america-take-a-vacation/

did you take your vacation this year like those lazy europeans?

2. zdreg

zdreg

99 weeks of unemployment check changes everything.

3. zdreg

zdreg

"The conventional answer is that this attitude toward work makes the American economy the envy of the world. America has a hectic, turbo-charged system that builds, destroys and rebuilds, all at warp speed. It's what created the information revolution, Silicon Valley, hedge funds, biotechnology, nanotechnology and so on. And there's no time in it for lolling on the beach!"

this is exactly what obama and his policies are trying to change. all part of his plan to end american exceptionalism.

G-D help america if this commie is reelected.

4. Its like a vacation without having a job to go back to at the end of it.

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

No, but then I travel for a living and would generally speaking just as soon stay home anyway.

7. Samsara

Samsara

I thought you hot French chicks looked down on American exceptionalism, Clotilde.

8. indo

indo

this is just another sign that a lot of european nations are living beyond their means thus will eventually be forced to cut down their life styles.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think the same applies to the US as well.

#10     Sep 9, 2011