Here's why the ignore feature is unusable

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dartmus, Jul 30, 2017.

1. dartmus

dartmus

I want to be able to read and exchange posts with others.

I also have a list of users I prefer to filter out because they've never once said anything beyond what I've determined to be noise.

but putting those users on ignore, causes entire threads to be hidden from me. For instance, posts to a thread by someone who is not on my ignore, even by members I subscribe to .. are excluded from the New Posts list (simply because that thread was started by someone on my ignore list). That topic is also excluded from the list of topics when I attempt to locate it via going to the subsection of the forum where it's located.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  2. dartmus

dartmus

Given the amount of noise on ET ...this bug in the ignore feature is a huge problem.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

It might not be a bug. There might be a reason behind that that if this person in your Ignore list then that means you are not interested in what he/she has to say. Then if you are not interested in what he/she has to say then why would you be interested to read a thread that this person has started. If that thread is visible to you and yet the very first post that started that thread is hidden from you due to the thread-starter on your Ignore list, then you would be responding to the thread without even knowing what the thread is all about potentially and it might reduce the quality of that thread.

I dunno just my speculation.

i960, Baron and johnnyrock like this.
  4. zdreg

zdreg

may this be the biggest problem in your life.

Handle123 likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

What makes you think the people you'd like to hear from would have anything to contribute to a thread started by someone who creates noise?

Unless you want to get a giggle from the quips?

6. There's only 1 guy on my ignore list and that's Lawrence Lugar.
    What's up with that guy?

7. dartmus

dartmus

I always read LL's notes when I come across them. He's almost on my list of subscribed (or followed) members. There was a time in the past when I preferred to skip over his posts but more than once he said something that was helpful, spot on, in forming who I am and have become. Everyone is free to do as they like but I view Lawrence just like the market. Both he, and the market, have a high noise level ...but each also contain valuable info.

So to clarify my intent, I'm only interested in ignoring the posts of members who have NEVER said anything worthwhile. ET has a lot of members that fit that criteria, (which again, I want to emphasize is based upon my interests). That's ok, as long as I can ignore them but for the reasons described in this thread that's not possible.

8. algofy

algofy

LL does say a few useful things from time to time.

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

I would say, generally if you put someone on your Ignore, he is not going to say anything interesting for you. That being said it did happen to me that someone on my Ignore for years did start an interesting and long thread and I wasn't aware of it for months, because it never showed up on my feed. Mind you, it is not necessary the OP that is interesting, but the contribution from others...So it is still nice to be aware of a thread, even if I don't want to participate...

But the good news is, there is a work around: Maybe once a week, log off and check new threads. Then everything is going to show up and if there is something interesting, you might unIgnore the OP.

I charge $5 for this advice...I accept Paypal...

Xela and Zodiac4u like this.
  10. What? Not Bitcoin? :D

#10     Jul 31, 2017