Here Is The Criminality That Stacks The Odds Against 'Us'

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ByLoSellHi, Feb 6, 2007.

1. TM1

TM1

Damn, I forgot about the Anna Nicole factor, now I'll have to go back and refigure all of my support/resistance levels.

#11     Mar 3, 2007
  2. Yes. Precisely.

It's has always worked this way.

#12     Mar 3, 2007
  3. "Stacks The Odds Against Us"

When I say short term trading is a Zero Sum Game...
    I am actually being very approximate.

Various "insiders" are actually continuously stealing money...
    In a very organized manner...
    So your true costs are fees + "insider theft".

That's why you need a fairly big quantitative edge...
    To be a successful trader for the long haul.

Squinting at charts is laughable... and won't cut it.

#13     Mar 3, 2007
  4. 11Blade

11Blade

Hounddog said it right

quoted

[So your true costs are fees + "insider theft".]

that about sums it all up, but for some reason we(or I) still play in this school yard - and frequently get schooled.

#14     Mar 3, 2007
  5. pikers, you forget about all the money you make because of the crooks.

be fair now.

#15     Mar 5, 2007
  6. If there are dealers, there are front-runners.

#16     Mar 5, 2007
  7. There has been a lot of front running and throwing winning trades into favored people's accounts in the futures markets as long as I can tell.

Some of you will remember that one of the announced presidential candidates made 100K in the futures markets starting with just one K. When asked how they made such juicy returns in a relatively short time the person blatantly said that they have read the WSJ almost daily. :)

The matter actually got investigated by a government agency and they did not find anything wrong with it (they did not even know where to look or who to ask)

I wonder if this issue will come up in the prequalifying rounds.

#17     Mar 5, 2007
  8. Man, there just isn't enough jail space to hold all of these guys even if they did want to catch them ... and even if they did, where would they put all of the violent felons?

All they can do is cherry-pick, and make examples and scapegoats of the few, in the hopes that it will act as a deterrent for the other 80% that they know they can't get a hold of.

OK, not that I'm saying it's OK, it's not. But they really want to incarcerate the guys they're afraid of, and these ain't them.

JJ

#18     Mar 5, 2007
  9. Sweet, there's always value to be found, even among the muck.

JJ

#19     Mar 5, 2007
  10. It's only a deterrent for those outside the club, that's why scapegoats are picked and made examples for the public to see.

Remember the AB Watley case? All those guys did was exactly what is/was standard practice on any exchange floor. It's normal inside the NYSE, but once some regular guys get ambitious to do the same, it becomes a prosecutable offense.

The same thing with the heavy insider trading prior to announcements. That's why it's so blatant, the big boys practically run the SEC so there is no fear of prosecution. At the worst, some persons will be sacrificial lambs, but the game will go on.

#20     Mar 5, 2007