Here is the CME's complete explanation

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by canadian_dude, May 2, 2003.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

Johnston:: I’ll take a crack at that. First of all, our current systems at the CME are built on Tandem platforms...

did Tandem went out of biz like 10 years ago???

#21     May 3, 2003
  2. #22     May 3, 2003
  3. Bsulli

Bsulli

No, Tandem was bought by Compaq, Digital, or NCR(don't remember specifically which) back in the mid 90's when Tandem's main competitor was Stratus. I supported Tandem machines at one point and they were great boxes at the time.

Bsulli

#23     May 3, 2003
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

yes, they were but with today computing and the continuously rolling out of new web base products, they should use Sun or IBM instead.

#24     May 3, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

If I remember correctly, Tandem machines have a unique feature that makes them ideal for mission critical real time operations - they can be upgraded in many ways without having to bring the machine down. For example, I believe one can add or remove RAM from the machine while the machine is running. Adding and removing cards is also a feature. I forget exactly what it was you could or could not do, but I remember being impressed.

I do not think that (m)any other box maker has this capabilities.

nitro

#25     May 3, 2003
  6. #26     May 3, 2003
  7. nkhoi

nkhoi

#27     May 3, 2003
  8. Well, this was a pathetic post. I believe if you reread my post, I said nothing about the "evil" pit guy, friend or brother. I would do the same things as the locals if I had the opportunity to do so. They are in a good trading place for themselves, and use everything to their advantage to make money, as we would also do. I was simply pointing out some of their games, how they can profit from using the minis in their trading, and my disgust for how many floor traders bitch about the minis when it can be used as an extra tool for themselves.

By the way, I didn't lose money from this event and never even hinted at doing so.

good luck

#28     May 3, 2003
  9. sonofabitch...

the thing didn't open until 3:45???

i remember reading here that it was 3:15!!

fuck fuck fuck...i remember getting short in anticipation of this and being like "WTF? this is anticlimactic!" at 3:20 when nothing happened, then wrapping up for the day and coming back to see that slide down at 3:45!

it woulda been sweet had i known those pikers were re-opening at 3:45...i woulda stayed short...

#29     May 4, 2003
  10. OldTrader, YOU RULE! :cool:

ROCK

#30     May 4, 2003